Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When encountering any obstacle such as a small bump or pothole, I get a noise in my jeep similar to a wooden hammer clunking the floor. It began in the front, and spread to the rear recently. I'm thinking it must be the control arm bushings. Can anyone tell me how much of a chore these are to change, and if any special tools are required? Any other tips or advice is greatly apprieciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have had the same problem with my front lower RE arms. I have had to replace the bushings twice in the past 2 months.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Stock control arms? Not worth the effort - replace the whole arm assembly. I believe that you can get them from buymopar for around $30.00US

If aftermarket arms - take them to a shop with a press. It's not a pretty, or easy, manual job.

Jay

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a clunking sound like that in mine, turned out the factory springs were sagged out enough on the front that the stop was bottoming out on the axle on large bumps. Lift kit fixed that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've replaced the bushings with polyurethane on the whole front end and in the rear and I must say that the front was the worst. It took me ALL DAY to do the front control arms. There are two bushings that are held on the front axle that require a portable press to get them out or a very patient person with a blow torch. The heat helps release the old rubber from the stock metal sleeve. Just make sure that you use a spring compressor to unload the coil springs or have a 'come-along' handy to help line up the bolt holes after the axle shifts position. Also, if you go with polyurethane, make sure you use the provided grease LIBERALLY!! Otherwise you'll get very annoying squeaks & groans.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts