Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95ZJ with open diffs f/r and am looking to replace at least the rear diff with a locking or limited slip type. I'm open to suggestions but my options are limited to a $600 or less total cost (parts only), and a suitable replacement for my area (Iceland, lots of thick surface ice/hard-pack snow, sometimes very deep snow, summer trails with lava rock, sand, gravel). I don't plan on doing any serious rock-climbing, just looking for excellent traction in ice/snow, and remote trails.
From the stories I've read, a hard gear locker wouldn't suit me on ice (drifting), yet a clutch-type limited slip might have longevity issues (special fluids, clutch plates wearing out).
I've been gravitating towards using a Detroit TrueTrac diff in the rear (possibly the front also) since this acts like a limited slip type but uses gears instead of clutches so it should last a long time. Also it claims to to not have 100% lock so this might be the best bet on ice.
Air lockers are not in consideration (excess cost, durability issues, etc). The OX locker is possible only if I can find it for less than my price (found for $700 but too much)

Has anyone had any experience with these or have any other suggestions? Links to online stores would be helpful also.
Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Come on people! Somebody has to have some opinions!!! I've done some research and have come up with two possible solutions.
1) TracTech TrueTrac LSD (gear slipper)
2) Dana Spicer Trac-Loc LSD (clutch slipper)

One uses gear pressure/friction to bias torque, the other uses clutch plates/friction oil. I imagine the gear type would last a hell of a lot longer and easier to maintain (regular diff oil). BUT the Trac-Loc clutch type is about half the price.

Anyone have horror/good stories to pass on? I'm making this mod in about two months to hit the trails. Anyone? If no one posts, I'll go with the cheaper kit.

·
Registered
290 Posts
erik_hans....I installed a True Trac in the rear D44 of my '76 401 Wagoneer in 1998. Seems good to me..You Have to pull the ring gear but I didn't have to reshim so it was easy. For more INFO CLICK search type "locker" then below type "zac"... this will bring up a 4 page tread on the subject......gud luck..from Cowtown.....Don S..

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
On 2002-03-23 03:34, erik_hans wrote:
...snip...
From the stories I've read, a hard gear locker wouldn't suit me on ice (drifting),
...snip...

Has anyone had any experience with these or have any other suggestions? Links to online stores would be helpful also.
Thanks.
A LSD will drift just as quickly on ice as a locked diff will - unless it's shot.

Jay

1 - 4 of 4 Posts