Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear end gears need to be replaced and I am considering my options. I think I have 3.55 gearing as of now, and am planning on putting on a 3" lift with 31's in May or June. Could I regear to 4.10 and drive it until then without problems. Also, I thought I remembered reading a post on jeepsuulimited that I need to get a ne carrier to regear if I do indeed have 3.55. What exactly is the carrier, is it the whole housing, or just a carrier inside. I am pretty new at this part, and am not sure. Or, should I just stick with 3.55. I live in Michigan and do mostly onroad driving and trails, no rockcrawling.
The other option I was considering was putting in some form of limited slip. An ARB is out of the question, any other opinions. $ will be an issue, and if I have to regear the front and rear I probably will not be able to do this, but if I am sticking with 3.55 it may be an option. By the way, I have a 95 ZJ laredo with the I6 if that helps with figuring out if I have 3.55 or 3.73.
Also, if you have had any of this work done and remember rough estimates on pricing that would be great. I am a little skepticle to do this myself, I just have not worked on Jeeps long enough, and my friends have never attempted it either. Thanks a lot for any advice,

John

E

·
0 Posts
D30 break is 3.55down/3.73up but I believe our D35c break is 3.55up. No need to change carriers with any available D35c gears. Haven't regeared mine but I was told this by several gear shops before deciding on a Ford instead. Talked to Randy's & Drivetrain Direct among others. Don't tell me they're smoking.

-Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, they are not smoking, the whining is just starting to get to loud. I will check tonight, there is 6in of fresh snow in my driveway and I don't want to crawl under there this morning. My luck is it is 3.55 so it is just more expensive, but I can always hope. Thanks for the responses, any more opinions on the limited slip idea?

·
Registered
414 Posts
A new case for the D30 is only about $40. No biggie.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts