Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Also depends on what you want to wheel, and how modified you are now, and plan to be.

8.8 I classify as only an "ok" swap. Sure you get disc brakes, but you still have c-clips. Yes there is a C-Clip eliminator kit out there, but for $200. About the cost of a disc brake conversion kit if you can do it on your own.

Personally, I'de lean toward a D44 or a Ford 9".

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
On 2002-02-28 13:08, Travis wrote:
Also depends on what you want to wheel, and how modified you are now, and plan to be.

8.8 I classify as only an "ok" swap. Sure you get disc brakes, but you still have c-clips. Yes there is a C-Clip eliminator kit out there, but for $200. About the cost of a disc brake conversion kit if you can do it on your own.

Personally, I'de lean toward a D44 or a Ford 9".
But first you have to break the 8.8 axle for the c-clip to be a problem. If you are hardcore enough to be breaking 8.8 axles, a Dana 44 is not going to be any better. You should be looking into a 35 spline 9" or a Dana 60.
In my opinion for most ZJs the 8.8 is going to be more than enough for the application.

Nathan

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I never quite got on the 8.8 kick either - I've seen a guy in a TJ twist a 9" axle shaft. I also know how easy it is to twist a 35 shaft. If I'm going to all the trouble and expense to swap rears, I'm at least going to a semi floater. I don't want to have to leve my rig on the trail overnight ever again.

Jay

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Yeah a 9" is stronger than a 8.8, but I think you need the big bearing one in order to fit anything more than a 31 spline axle. Also, to build a 9 you will spend a lot more money, 3rd members, axles, brakes, width, etc all generall have to be dealt with when building a 9. I don't know of anywhere you can get a 31 spline 9" rearend w/ 31 spline axles and good brakes that is the correct width and has the correct ration in the 3rd member for 300 bucks. If you can, please let me know where.

As far as strength, the 8.8 is stronger than the 44, and has no carrier break so if you buy a full carrier locker for you 3.73's it will still work w/ 4.56's.

I guess I see it as a point of diminishing returns--yeah I could spend another 1000 dollars and build the 9" housing I have in my garage, but for the money I could buy 2 complete spare 8.8's.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What's involved in the 8.8 swap? I've done a D44 swap for an XJ before that was relativily simple. New purches, shock mounts, shorter drive shaft, ect. Should I expect the same with an 8.8 in my ZJ? I've heard that it's a "straight" swap, but is it really? Any advise is appriciated, I need to get rid of this A44.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I met with John Currie today, and ordered a High Pinion, high clearence nine inch, heavy duty housing and axle kit, with 4.88's, ARB, Currie backing plates and will be using my rear disks. He wanted to keep my ZJ for a few days. They are using it for a prototype for something new that will be coming out for the front suspension if it works out right. Will post when I have more info.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chris_L on 2002-03-20 01:07 ]</font>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts