Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can see the need for a long arm kit in the front of a 6" lift (I just picked any height) but what about the back? Is it needed or would it help that much? What about the rear track bar? Drop bracket and adjustable? Do you also need to drop the upper control arm if you do the lower in the rear? On zj's.

·
Registered
643 Posts
The Long Arm setup isn't a "have to have" kind of thing, Front or Rear. Its a matter of preference. The LA setup has a lot of benefits - ie. longer arc for the wheel to travel along on droop and compression, more stable on road feeling, insane flex, etc., but its not required for an effective lift. You will have a better chance of getting driveline vibes, and that "tipsy" feeling with a short arm lift that high though.
Trackbars - the best way to go is adjustable trackbars front and rear. Brackets cause undue force on the trackbar mount on the body side, and it will fail over time. If you go with the bracket, weld it in.
If you go with a short arm lift, you'll definately need adjustable lower control arms so you can center the axle. I'm not sure about the uppers, but I think thats for more camber adjustment. I'm not one of the Long Arm guys, but I believe this to be fairly accurate. Maybe some of the other quys can chime in and confirm or correct me if needed. HTH!
:ZJ: Hank :ZJ:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I am quite familiar with suspension lifts and such as I owned Extreme Speed and OFF ROAD (95% offroad) here in Maine. This is in addition to Westbrook Exxon that has 3 bays of service (City just took property by eminent domain). What I am not familiar with is the zj. I have never had one in to lift and I am leaning towards converting a Rock Ready kit to do what I want but the only rear coil set ups I am familiar with is the tj and then that was not using RR. I like the idea of the long arm after talking with Dora (an xj friend of mine) with the 8" skyjacker RR in her xj and said it rode better than when at 5". Once again thank you and if you think of anything else I should consider please let me know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts