Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having problems getting my rear bumper mounts out. They have both rusted away and need to be replaced. The mounts each have two threaded studs that mount them to the frame and I can't figure out how to get them out. They aren't really a bolts but only studs. Anyone have any suggestions??

John in Lexington
93 ZJ I6 Limited bone stock (minus one rear bumper)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Several options.

There is the 2 nuts from the bottom and lots of WD-40 approach. This one didn't work for me but I have heard that some people were successful.

There is the weld the nut on and lots of WD-40 approach. This worked on 2 of mine but it took like 1/2 hr each.

There is the torch approach but with the gas tank there that might be a bad idea.

The last and I think best approach is the cutting wheel and drill approach. Quick and painless and then you can use regular bolts or new studs afterwards.

Good luck. I started this job and gave up 4 times before I finally just broke down and cut the darnn things off.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have had that same problem too and tried loads of liquid wrench and lots of elbow grease but still havent been able to get them off. I am having a mechanic friend of mine (with many more tools) take them off and put the hitch on next wkd. Let me know how you finally get them off, I would like to know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts