Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, like the subject says, I kept turning the little star gear to release the e-brake shoes. But still can't get the rear rotors off my 1995 Grand. The rear brakes are a disc rotor that acts as the drum for the e-brake.

Anyone with similar difficulty or solution? After even hammering one of them, I gave up, changed the pads only, and have been driving on the old rotors for a couple months. (yes, I did take the lugs off and caliper.)

thanks for any tips..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: skbecker on 2002-03-08 13:58 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: skbecker on 2002-03-08 13:59 ]</font>

·
Registered
55 Posts
the rear shoe e-brake system is so stupid.

I had to *really* pound the crud out of mine to get them off the last time because my shoes had disintegrated. You might plan on replacing that rotor. You will definately ruin shoes getting it off with brute force.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Had a '94, now a '95 and they are tough the first time they come off. If the disk moves, but tends to snap back, then the PBrake shoes are hanging. If it won't move at all, then the disk is stuck to the lugs. Got mine off by: 1)Shot rust solvent around where the lugs come thru the disks. 2) Waited about 1/2 hour 3)Run the lug nuts back on, almost even with the ends of the lugs to protect the threads 4)Hold a hammer head or big drift against the inside edge of the disk, where the disk is not completely covered by the backing plate 5) Start tapping with another hammer,inward against the end of the lug (not the nut) that's closest to your back-up hammer/drift. There's a fine line between tapping and banging (my opinion)so as not to darnage any bearings (start easy, then no harder than necessary)). If you're getting anywhere, the disk may only move slightly on the lug. But any movement, and you've won the battle. Then either bump the disk back on fully, or rotate the disk to another lug and repeat the "wiggling" process. I got mine off that way and apparently didn't hurt any bearings etc. Probably like you, I hate to hit machinery with hammers or other butcher tools. Good Luck. Ben

·
Registered
671 Posts
i'm not sure i completely follow your problem. sounds like the rotor is worn down excessively and there is a ridge on the outer edge of your rotor. one thing that could help would be a small orbital sander or angle grinder, grind the ridge down on both sides (same spot on both sides), then rotate the same area until it is covered by the caliper. this should help you remove it. if the ridge is not too bad, you may be able to reuse the rotors, but i would plan on replacing them anyways. better safe than sorry. good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts