Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen Jay's but it's been a while. Anyone have other solutions? Just finished re-installing my bar for a big drive tomorrow so this has climbed the list.

Jay, still have pics somewhere?

-Dave

R.I.P. Photopoint.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'd like to do this as well, I don't want to take mine out everytime I go wheelin'...

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
What big drive? :)
With the right extensions I don't think you will lose that much flex even with the bar on all the time.
Nathan

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, you caught me. I'm toying with using Addco bars. Enough of these oem coat hangers.

Heading south to empty my CA storage unit. It'll be an express trip with trailer. Always good for white knuckles. :)

-Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't think you want to disco the rear swaybar. Under extreme articulation, as the rear axle drops, the trackbar will pull it to the right side. If the swaybar is disco'd, there is a great risk of the tire being pulled into the end of the bar and tearing. There was a couple of threads on JU from guys who have done this and torn both rears on the trail.

-G.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right, but there are recipes that work. Wheel backspacing, link design, shape of the bar... I'm hoping for input from Jay or others who have done it successfully. I need new wheels anyway for the narrower 8.8. May as well think about it now.

-Dave

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Dave what backspacing are you running? My wheels were 4" of bs and they were fine until I got the Warn hub kit. Now I am waiting on my spacers for the back and will be going to 4.75"
Nathan

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Running 4.5 all around right now. Have to keep it shifted right of center at static height or it stuffs into the passenger fender. Figured I'd be going to 4" BS with an 8.8 but that's an early guess. At night, the fender lips are asking to be folded. I can hear them.

-Dave

·
Registered
45 Posts
I took my rear sway bar out, and there is really barely any difference in the way it drives at all. As long as you don't like to pretend your jeep is a reacecar you really don't need it. Once I took it off I noticed about 4 more inches of droop in the rear, and that makes a ton of a difference.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're right, it isn't required. But put a few thousand highway miles under your belt, towing a trailer, 40MPH gusty crosswinds, grooved pavement, etc., then put it back in and tell me it doesn't make much difference. Hence this thread. :D

-Dave

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is totally OT but...Hey! I'm an uncle for the 11th time today! Sarah Lynne, all 8lbs 2oz was born 6:36am this morning! First girl for my eldest sister who already has four boys. Spent the day with family instead of driving south. Pretty fair substitute. Whoo hoo!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Congrats Dave!

Here's what I have:

As you said, there are some recipes that work and some that don't. I'm running the Warn Full floater which adds 5/8" to each side of the axle for a total of 1 1/4" additional track width along with 4" backspaced wheels and 33x12.50 MT/R's on 15x8's.

Jay

·
Registered
227 Posts
Congrats to the new (again)uncle!

I have a '96 w/ 2" lift, disconnected my front SB because the new Energy bushings squeak to no end. Grease no helps.
I will say I can definitely tell my back SB is there because on going through bumps, dips, etc. the vehicle won't move as the front wheels undulate. When the back ones get into holes, etc. the vehicle rocks and sways all around to nearly toss the rack off the top.
Small as it is I think the rear SB makes a huge difference. Guess I'm going to have to find a way to shut those Energy bushings up and reconnect my front. And no mine does NOT corner like a Ferarri w/o the front SB. I dare imagine w/o the rear as well.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Jay, did you fab those or buy them? Looks good. Mine's still connected, but it would be nice to have the option to disco.

gary

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
They're just some parts I put together at the local hardware store: A couple of grade 5 bolts, some washers, some plumbing steel tube, and some 1/4" diameter pins. I drilled the holes in the bolts through a nut in situ for a flat surface, and reamed the existing bushings. Total cost: about $20.00 + my time.

Jay

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Cool, thanks for sharing.

g

·
Registered
75 Posts
I run all the time without a rear swaybar on my lifted Grand and it really doesn't drive that bad, but on the freeway and making sharp turns you WILL notice the extra body roll. It wheels like a monster! I do some freeway driving every day and with the rear swaybars pulled, I don't really regret it or worry about it too much. The off-road benefits are impressive.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts