Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know someone out there has a RE 4.5" lift. If you are willing to share, how much exactly do you have in the 4.5" Super-Flex lift? "A slip-yoke eliminatorand CV driveshaft on the stock NV231 transfer case is recommended." How do I know what transer case I have and if I need to do this or not?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Quadra-Trac=NP249
Selec-Trac=NP242
Command-Trac=NP231

At least I think anyway, they may also be NV 249, 242, 231, it's for New Venture Gear then they became New Process Gear, or vice versa.
I'm not sure if Command-Trac is still what it's called in the plain old 4x4 Jeeps or not, maybe someone with a '95 or below can help with those.

·
Registered
61 Posts
On 2002-03-04 14:12, Jessezj wrote:
I know someone out there has a RE 4.5" lift. If you are willing to share, how much exactly do you have in the 4.5" Super-Flex lift? "A slip-yoke eliminatorand CV driveshaft on the stock NV231 transfer case is recommended." How do I know what transer case I have and if I need to do this or not?
What are the specs on your jeep? what year, size engine?

Tell us what positions your shifter bezel has on the 4wd shifter? (unless it has been changed - not highly likely - but you never can be sure - unless you are the OO) This should be accurate as to what kind of TC you have.

The best way to tell is to crawl under the jeep and look at the TC.

New Process Gear became New Venture Gear.
also don't forget
NV247 = QuadraTracII or QuadraDrive

G

·
0 Posts
JesseZJ

the RE 4.5" super flex kit is going to cost somewhere around $1,400.

transfer case id is simple: if you only have
full time 4 wheel drive and 4low you have a 249 case, 2 high 4 high(part time) and 4 low is a 231 case, if you have 2 high 4 high(part time) 4 high (full time) and 4 low that is a 242case.

at 4.5"s of lift with any of the three transfer cases, using the adjustability of the upper control arms to help adjust pinion angle you should not need any further driveline modifications. the trick is to point the pinion up towards the transfer case
decreasing the angle of the driveshaft to pinion which will also push the slip yoke back into the TC output hopefully negating any vibrations.

if you have the 249 case (full time 4 wheel drive) you may have to exagerate the cutout at the front of the crossmember to allow for ample clearance of the front shaft when the suspension is at full droop.

hope that helps

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a 97 with a 318. I have the Quadratrac tc. Would it be worth it to sell my rancho 3" lift for a Rubicon 4.5" or just buy new uca's and add spacers to my springs?

G

·
0 Posts
if you are more concerned with performance than appearance i would say go with RE.
someone on the forum referred to their 4.5" kit as being the best bang for your buck. I cant think of a better way of putting it.

plus in the furure if you decide on a little bit more lift you have a head start on getting the equipment you would need to do so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts