Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I have a 3" lift and install shocks that are for 5"s of lift, what could be damaged or harmed ?

It seems that it would be better than 5" lift and 3" shocks?
help a noob out I am driving myself crazy with this one.

TIA :(:confused::(

·
Administrator
2,695 Posts
It seems like you 5" lift shocks would not have the up travel that you would need, and they would always be performing in the compressed range. I agree it would be better to have 5" shocks with a 3" lift instead of the other way around, but wither way, I would go with the correct length shocks no matter what.

·
Registered
660 Posts
The short answer is that it depends on your ride height and how much uptravel the longer shock allows for.

The long answer:
Shocks designed for a bigger lift are generally designed for more suspension travel so they have a longer stroke. As a result, the shock body is often longer.

It's possible you will have less uptravel (due to the larger shock body) and a ton of downtravel (due to the increased stroke). This may or may not pose to be a problem depending on your tire size.

Either way, using the shock as a bumpstop and/or limit strap is not a good idea because the shock is not designed to be bottomed out or hold the weight of the axle/tire. You can always restrict uptravel by adding/extending bumpstops, but you don't want to be riding on your bumpstops, either. You can always restrict downtravel by adding in some sort of limit strap. Regardless, your "worst" case would be having to replace the shocks and/or repair the shock mounts from bottoming them out.

I know I didn't answer your question, but I think short of cycling the suspension and measuring compressed/extended lengths of shocks, I'm not sure anyone can give you a "good" answer on if it will work or not.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick response BIG CLAY & SIR FUEGO.

that was more thinking than i was ready to do on monday, but a quick little class in suspension geometry none the less.
I think i understand what you were trying to explain as how it all works...... Too short and you will stretch them out, too long and they will stay compressed and do nothing..........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
it just might work out perfectly for ya. ive extended my shocks using BPEs, and would actually like to go a bit more now. 30-31s are the biggest tire you can really stuff without bumpstop extensions. if you plan to go bigger, you might as well start limiting uptravel anyway, the way i see it.
still learnin myself though....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts