Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im gonna come up with a name for the jeep/project soon but i havent been in it enough to get a feel for it to get a name..but i figured id start a build thread in the meantime..this is agrandaddictions old 5.9..he got into a small wreck due to a bad wheel bearing apparently the wife made him move out of the jeep world (im sure for just a short time). damage was just a dent in the passenger fender, blown brake line, and brake pads got f-ed..so i jumped on his 5.9 as i have always wanted one and tried many times to get my hands on one. the jeep came with a set of trail ready beadlocks that i thought and thought about keeping but my main objective with this jeep is to be able to make it moab and back or in general long trips the offraoding and then the ride home but ultimalty i want to make grand slam west..so here we go

starting specs:
98 ZJ 5.9L
231 t-case w/SYE and tom woods shaft
geared 4.10 (d44-a rr, d30HP front)
rock sliders
K&N FIPK
arb front bumper w/8k lb winch
f/r suspension w ctrl arms
very dark tinted windows (i mean dark..i love em but if i DD this jeep i will get a ticket in franklin, TN)

build plans:
7in Iron Rock Offroad front long arm kit
35in KM2's
TJ rubi wheels powdercoated black
rear bumper w/ tire carrier (undecided on which one)
8.8 rear axle (4.10 or 4.56)
replacing the front XJ D30 HP (its laready needing shafts and prev owner said gears were making noise) (4.10 or 4.56)
EOR cage
rear taillight gaurds if i can ever find em..seriously anyone got ideas where to find em?

now for a few pics

then my first mod..the paint on this jeep has def seen better days..so i took the louvers off and decided to paint em

hope to have some pics soon of the louvers fully painted along with the grill..also gonna start looking for some 98 black limited body side cladding to black the trim all out

·
Registered
220 Posts
Looks good! Love the platinum Niner's, my buddy has a stock one with 408 stroker track plans....

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Btw, they have a better backspacing than the rubicon moabs, and you can get them in a 16 or a 17. Getting a 17 would be the best of the TJ and JK worlds! Im getting the gun metal ones for my platinum 5.9 ;)

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice thanks for the heads up..to get my JK wheels powdercoated it cost me about 55 each so unless i stumble upon a set for about 50-60 each per wheel ill prob do that..but apparently people think their TJ rubi wheels are made of gold cause they want WAY to much for some stock wheels

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea but what i meant was if i can find a tj set and get em powdercoated for less then those then i will do that. Otherwise it's lookin like the mambas are the best bet

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i got the brake lines fixed today and replaced the steering knuckle and finally got to take the jeep out for a safe drive around the neighborhood..now im going to get the spark plugs changed and a few other things to get this bad boy running nicely and then hopefully my next update will be installing a IRO 7in long arm system...oh i have also almost finshed painting the grill black..and the hood vents are all done now..jeep is starting to get cleaned up..ill try and get some pics up soon of the grill and vents all painted and back on the jeep

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
santa made a quick stop at my house today and dropped off my TJ rubi wheels..found a few sets and people were wanting 600+ for stock wheels and i thought i wasnt going to find a set that for what id be willing to pay but i got lucky and found some on jeepforum for a killer deal..hopefully get them powdercoated black in the next few weeks..i liked those mambas but after what i paid for these and the cost to get them powdercoated itll still be less then what the mambas would have cost so im happy! and i got word today that my suspension lift has been shipped!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
man i am so excited..the coils came in today along with all the rest of the suspension!! i cant wait to install this but i gotta wait till i can powder coat the wheels and then get the tires..it may be a month or two before i acutally install..but it gives me time to collect all the things im gonna need. but man im itching to play with it...and let me just add i got this lift from rumrunners offroad..that has got to be some of the best customer service i have ever had!! kyle is a good upstanding guy and i will def be doing business with them again very soon..he kept me up to date with my shipping and everything..there was a confusion with the price in my favor and he admited he messed up and when i offered to pay the correct price he refused to let me...this is a company with a good business sense that stands by their word and i highly recommend contacting them if you need any Iron rock offroad stuff or anthing else they may sell..*ok sorry commercial off*

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright i got alot of the stuff i wanted to get done and i had vacation time so i decided to take it on my b-day week and to get some stuff done..first of the list of things i want to get done this week: IRO 7in long arm front lift, header gasket replaced, rear main seal, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, install front axle shaft, transgo shift kit..and a few other little things..today i got the front crossmember installed and pulled the front axle and suspension..i also got all the header bolts removed so now that nothing is under the jeep i can drop the exhaust out and pull the headers much easier then before as well as doing the rear main seal. tomorrow i hope to actually get the headers finished and rear main along with the rest of the front suspension installed...and if i have some extra time id like to work on the plugs and sparks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
sweet man should look killer when you get it all together. just curious why you went with the 3link in front but stayed with short arms in the rear? atleast thats what I get from the pics

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks man im looking forward to getting it done..got held up with the header bolts breaking on ne but just finished fixing that so now I can finish the front up ...as for the three link front I did that cause to get the long arm rears was another 1000 or something like that and just couldn't afford it at the time hopefully down the road ill either finish the kit up or go clayton rear

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well got the headers and exhaust all put back in today along with a new 02 sensor..the front suspension is back in but still have to dial it all in..the steering wont reach the pitman arm as it sits now which worries me..looked into crossover steering and the kevins kit is 600..a little to much for me right now so im gonna have to figure it out. i also dropped my TJ moab wheels off to get powder coated so i should get them back next week.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
That looks huge. I love the Moab wheels, what color are you having them coated in?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yea it is big and from what im guessing the 35s over the 29s on the jeep now are gonna make it alot bigger :) im getting the TJ moabs done in black like my WJ..gonna eventually get the side panels done in black and all the trim..its slow going build right now but im making sure i get the engine in good working order along with a few other things..the jeep was owned by a local shop (NOT EOR for those local) and quite a few things seem to have been half assed on the jeep so im having to correct them..for starters when i went to work on the crossmember i looked at the muffler..which had an arrow pointing towards the engine with the words FLOW under the arrow..you tell me if you can figure out whats wrong with that

·
Registered
277 Posts
Looks good, Can't wait to see it done. That muffler was not put in by TOR, was done at meinekee in Hermitage. :). They have always been top notch for me in the past... guess you can't always count on the work being done by someone else, anymore. Another reason to do your own work... another reason why I had to quit Jeeps... no time.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts