Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i can start my build up thread now that i actually have something of which to build up..so heres my starting pics and specs
2004 4x4 (247) Special Edition WJ Grand Cherokee 4.7L

first mod: HD242 out of an 03 V8 with 39k miles on..picked it up today at a local junkyard for $400 with both front and rear driveshafts and the shifter bezel..considering how much ive seen these things selling for im pretty happy with how much i spent

going to spend tomorrow cleaning out the garage and making some room.. then tear apart the t-case make sure everything is in good working order

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Make sure you keep the input shafts before you throw anything away. A lot of the time you need to swap your exisiting one in so that it bolts up evenly to your tranny.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Make sure you keep the input shafts before you throw anything away. A lot of the time you need to swap your exisiting one in so that it bolts up evenly to your tranny.

X2 on that!!

Nice project and off to a good start!!!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea just started tearing it apart today..prob going to wait till it warms up a little before i put it in the jeep..that or i just gotta clean a little more room out of garage to get it in..really hoping the inputs are the same..but untill i get everything bolted and running i wont be getting rid of anything..im hoping to recoup a very small amount of my money by selling the 247 but im sure i wont be able to get much for it

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well took apart the tcase and checked everything out and all the insides look good..the magnet looks clean of metal shavings and the oil pump filter is clean so i cleaned the surfaces up and gotta go pick up some RTV tomorrow and hopefully finish the 242 swap on wed-thursday next week (my days off since i bartend) the only issue i ran into was this

got a buddy at napa by my house so im going to swing by tomorrow and see if he has a new seal for me..ive been doing some searching for a SYE for the 242..ive heard some people have them then i hear that they arent made..please someone verify for me..also i found on jb conversions page they have a SYE for the 241 and 243 chevy..im assuming the 241 is the rubi version of thel 231 just with the 4-1..saw that the number was close and got my hopes up for a moment then remembered the rubis.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Tom Woods has one for the 242 called a hack 'n tap as you have to cut the shaft and tap it.

I just looked at his site and you actually send your shaft in and you get one back thats ready to go.

This is what I have on my 242 and it works fine.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
def looking into that tom woods shaft and SYE..may hold off installing the tcase till i can get that put on so i dont have to take it out later..for now i went ahead and took the center console out and got the shifter bezel in.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks..i was quite surprised at how hard it was to get the *&^% stock air box out..the 3 bolts that hold it in about drove me mad..mainly cause it was such a simple job that gave me WAY to many problems..the main bolt on the bottom part of the stock air box was easy to get out..the second one was siezed and the bolt snapped in two..took me awhile to find the third that was outside the box which is damn near impossible to get a wrench on..after busting my knuckles and repeatedly dropping the light i was using i finally got it out then realized the bolt that snapped was still threaded and had to go from underneath to get it out..which normally would not be a big deal but i forgot how much a PIA it is to work on a jeep that is not lifted..my TJ i could sit underneath..the WJ i could barely get my arm between the tire and fender to reach the nut underneath...how i cant wait to lift this thing!!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alright next project is collecting everything needed..i have decided to go to a 32in tire since my buddy is lifting his 09 rubi and is selling his tires (not the rims though :() so let me know if you guys think this set up will work..looking at getting the IRO 4in kit w/ front upper/lowers adj ctrl arms, rear adj ctrl arms, A-arm spacer, rear addco sway bar, 32in BFG muds, JK rubi wheels, wheel spacers (how much? 1in or 1.5?), and rock sliders. am i missing anything else?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well got bored today and decided to do a little something to the jeep..saw someone do this on mallcrawlin..took my rear seats out and drilled them so i now have quick disconnect seats. which is going to be nice cause im getting ready to build a rear storage/tire carrier/ dog bed that will be removable and give me plenty of storage..just gotta scrounge up the $$ but heres a pic of the seat

how much extra room is now available

·
Registered
111 Posts
Great updates. Sound like a fun project in the making.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i finally got around to installing the 242 case..took me about 2 hours...the top bolt on the t-case is a b**ch to get to..and i read on some write ups that you dont have to drop the cross member but i could never have gotten the bottom bolt without taking it off..both shafts on the 242 and 247 where def the same length 2.5in and the driveshaft from the 242 WJ was the exact length..took her for a test drive and all is well. oh and btw if anyone is about to do this swap. the 247 drained of oil isnt to heavy but the 242 is..def akward on a stock hight jeep..i wanted to wait till i lifted it but had the time today so i did it..ill be posting hte 247 up for sale soon.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Looks like your having a blast, keep up the good work and the up dates.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
no pics right now but im getting excited that im finally starting to order parts so i thought id share..just ordered my superchip flashpaq along with the transgo shift kit..next up will prob be the exhaust the rear storage container im still working on then comes the lift..looking for 2- 245/70r16s with decent tread (my 2 fronts are BAD) to get me by till i lift it if any of you got 2 stockers sittin around and are local to TN

1 - 20 of 65 Posts