Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 ZJ limited 4.0 Quadratrack, Just today i was driving along and the check engine light came on but i didnt see or feel anything wrong so i pulled over and turned the key to bring up the codes and i got 21 and 37, and everywhere i look i get 14 different explanations as to what each code is. My son is due May 30 so i want this jeep flawless, can anyone help me out?

This isnt really important right now but I am also having a problem with my jeep clogging up the 02 sensor, I can time it to about once a month it has to be replaced or i get bad MPGs, black smoke, and a rough idle. If i change it and reset the computer its fine for about another month what is going on here?
ANY help is extremely appreciated.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Using the on-off method just gets you the basic code. If you use a odb scan tool (Some of the Auto parts stores do this for free), you can pinpoint the exact error. 21 deals with O2 Sensors, and 37 could be tranmission related or Torque Converter.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks i had a scan tool but i couldnt find it last night, found it today and it says p0132 i think and it was the voltage to the bank 1 o2 sensor to high or to low so my first question how do i fix that, next it gave me p0740 i think and it said torque converter solenoid so the next question how do i fix that? It still shifts fine O/D works perfect, the RPM drops once the lock up kicks in at 55 mph and only when i let my foot off the gas just on my way home it started to labor and the rpms would drop when they wanted to so im guessing a TQ converter, and if so any body got one or a whole trans mission. Also if you have a trans mission with the T case im looking for the selectrac not quadratrac and any info if it will work because i have quadratrac and i want selectable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts