Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a 3" Rancho lift and 31" tires installed on my '95 ZJ this weekend. I asked the tire shop to do an alignment, which they said that they did. However, the ZJ now pulls hard to the right - the only way I can make it go straight is to turn the steering wheel left. I did not have a steering stabilizer or an adjustable front track bar installed with the lift. What's the solution to this problem? I have been informed by a different mechanic that there is no correction because you can't adjust the casters. Help!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
After checking the air pressure in the tires, I would return to the shop and tell them what's happening. It sounds like the alignment is not correct.

Jay

·
Registered
242 Posts
Got a mild case of the pull to the right with my recent BB install. Alignment is on the list, so that should fix it, right???

·
Registered
726 Posts
i would tell the mechanic that told you the caster cant be adjusted that he is an idjit.

then i would demand compensation for crappy service and take my rig somplace else.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Bender said:
i would tell the mechanic that told you the caster cant be adjusted that he is an idjit.
And then tell him he's an idjit if he thinks incorrect caster would cause you to pull to the right!! The toe adjustment needs to be corrected.

David

·
Registered
319 Posts
If the passenger side cam was set so the axle was farther back on that side, you would pull to the right. However, every GC I have been in has pulled to the right. Or sometimes to the left. Stock, lifted, whatever. Get used to it and rotate the tires :?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Did you get a print-out of the alignment? Just about every place these days can give it to you. If so, post the info here and we can better diagnose your problem.

David

·
Registered
726 Posts
you absolutly should have no problem. i have 5" with stock arms and no dw.

the shop did however tell me that caster has to do with the vehicle pulling to the right. i still dont quite understand but i will tell you this. i wont take my jeep to a shop that has no expirience aligning a custom lifted 4x4.

·
Registered
288 Posts
If you can't get the caster dialed in with the existing front set up, you can install an offset ball joint. It's just like the OEM one, except the stud doesn't run through the center, it's offset so you can adjust the caster.

Greg :cool:
________
MICHIGAN MEDICAL MARIJUANA

·
Registered
479 Posts
I just got back from Firestone for my lifetime alignment. They said the rear caster isn't adjustable because it's a solid axle. (Well I think that's what he said, I've not slept all but 1 hour in the last 26 hours).

He said the rear was off a little, maybe 1/16th. Is this something to be concerned about?

They didn't give me the sheet, I forgot to ask them for it. Going down the road it's not pulling to either side though (it was before).

Lifetime runs for around $150

·
Registered
266 Posts
The rear caster is not adjustable with the stock arms. If you have adjustable arms though you can change it. A 1/16th of an inch should not be a problem.

David

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One trip to a different shop for an alignment was the solution. I still pull VERY slightly to the right, but I'm guessing that's because all the roads around here are pretty crowned. On a flat, straight road, it's 97% straight. Good enough for me.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Since you put new tires on as well, you could have a tire w/ radial pull. I found another BFG A/T on my rig that pulls to the right.

Swap the front two tires. If it still pulls to the right, it is alignment, or something else. If it doesn't pull to the right, it is a bad tire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree about the 'radial pull'

And bfg's....

We put BFG AT's on a few years ago, and I could NEVER get that damn
truck to drive properly afterwards.

The alignment shop tussled with it 2-3 times over a couple days; and finally ended up rotating tires around, messing with the alignment; test driving; rotating tires again...and they finally got it...OK I guess.

It really wanted to pull to the
right...and it didn't self-center
very well.

Put Dunlop Radial Rover R/T's on it last year, after using them on my J20 for a couple years; and the pull problem vanished. And the R/T's bite way better than the BFG's. I was never happy with the bfg's in anything soft...mud, snow, etc.. Always loaded up instantly.

the rovers are a good compromise tire. I plow with them, on the J20.

Anyway, yeah, tires can make or break ya...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Where'd you have it done?? Sears and NTB have 6 month warranties on their alignments. I'm sure they'll redo it free of charge.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts