1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VEHICLE:
1996 ZJ Limited
Rubicon Express 3.5 Super Ride w/ Rusty's upper rear adjustable C-arms
231 swapped in for the original 249 TC (Novac shifter kit)
Rubicon Express Adjustable track bar in the front and in the rear

PROBLEM: Steering column at the firewall POPS once when turning past center either to the right or left. The sound is just forward of the Firewall.

DETAILS: Sitting in the garage, turn the steering all the way to the right then turn back to the left, a little past half way to the left, POP. Turn it all the way to the left then turn back to the right, a little past half way to the right, POP.
On the road, its not so consistent. It typically pops during a left hand turn where the front bumper is lifted. Left hand turns that are sharp, under heavy acceleration, or uneven ground, etc.

WHAT I CHECKED:
Track bar bolts (axle & frame)
Tie Rods (But I don't really know what to look for other than loose)
Spacing from springs to swaybar
Pitman Arm
Clearance on all moving parts
Everything inside the cab

I have searched the forums and found nothing that sounds similar to this. I have no idea what this is. It started about a month after I installed the lift. I know the steering system is struggling to turn the new 31" tires occasionally and I have a PS leak. I have no idea where. But it is definitely there. Its not low fluid because my box is still full. Which adds more worry. Maybe the fluid in the box is not cycling? So the system is low but the box has a block?

PLEASE HELP!!!! Its my daily driver too!!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Check your shocks. Grab the tire and move the vehicle back and forth while in park, if the shock has come loose, you'll see it moving around, usually at the top of the shock. I have to put a jam nut on top of those to keep them from walking out. HTH

Sam

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have something similar. i have a problem with the front track bar, the joint end at the frame is actually moving up and down when turning causing and intermittent pop noise and man its annoying. I have a cheapo R.C track bar and hoping to upgrade to a heim joint style soon.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
i had a similar prob i couldnt identify till i had someone watch it as i turned back n forth. it was the RE johnny joint end on the trac bar. they are threaded inside, so as the nylon bushing wears, you need to tighten up the lock ring. and tighten the f**k outa it. solved my "pop".

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked through what you guys have posted. I found both front shocks and my right rear shock so loose I could turn them with ease. So... I have properly applied the correct amount of elbow grease and locktite. Now, no more pop!!!

Whew.

I really saw a steering rebuild in my future. I didn't want to do that just yet.

thanks again guys! Especially VistaCruiser!!! I never would have thought to look at my shocks!

-JetMech

1 - 5 of 5 Posts