Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a good swap in ignition coil for a '96 I6? I'm due for a tuneup and would like to replace my stock coil with a far better one, with minimal fuss. But if I can get an aweseme one I'll cut some wires.

·
Registered
183 Posts
A couple of companies make Upgrade coils for your 6 check with Autozone they can get you an Acell or they may still be able to get you a Holley unit. I am not %100 on the Holley it has been a while. The Acell will give you a hotter spark but you may want to think about some Acell cut to fit performance wires to carry all of that heat.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'm already running Accel [something] Spiral wires, they made a noticable difference. Time to replace though. I've been a big fan of Autolite plugs, any better performance plugs out there?
Anyone else? What about MSD? A couple of mechanics have told me there was little if any difference b/t Accel and MSD stuff.

·
Registered
252 Posts
i went with Crane Cams. they had a deal (thru summit racing). you could get a ignition box AND coil for around $150. it wasn't THAT hard to do. as long as you have a wiring diagram for the coil. i think the part number was 6000-6305 for the set. HI-6S ignition box + PS-91 coil. works great for me.
________
Yamaha DS7

·
Registered
9 Posts
More parts

Get a new distributor cap and rotor while you're at it. Email Kolak for a good price on a coil and the other parts.
John

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have tried after market coils and the stock coil is made much better than any of the others. What I have found that makes the ignition more efficent is an MSD ignition amplifier. I use a MSD 6AL and the performance gain is comparible to using high octane fuel with out the cost. Of course I do recommend a premium set of wire. I use Bosch wires from AutoZone, they are made of a steel stranded core wrapped with kevlar and have held up well. Plus they come with a lifetime warranty.
BigAL

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Accel is a good coil

I had the Accel SuperCoil on my former 1996 ZJ (4.0) and it worked great; some of them had some problems early in their production cycle, but I doubt any of the bad few even exist anymore. Accel replaced mine promptly when it was suspected of being a bad one, and at no charge (other than the cost of shipping my old one to them).

E-mail Nick (Kolak) for details.

:cool:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all, I've had my Super Coil in for some months now, there was a definite noticable difference. I like it, and am thinking of tracing the +- wires back to their sources and see if I can swap in heavier guage wire. Or just leave well enough alone. I'm keeping my stock coil just in case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts