Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WJ 2002 V8 4.7L Limited

All steering fluid completely gone on way home today. Had a hard time turning corners you can imagine. I can sorta see where the leak is - near joint between the reservoir and a steering hose.

I'm an amateur when it concerns repairs, so I'd like to ask you guys this:

1. if I add a steering fluid tomorrow morning, will I be able to get to the shop? The leak was quite dramatic, and I wonder if it will just splash the whole tank down to the ground in minutes. My shop is 12 min away.

2. what parts can be possibly wrong in my situation? Steering hose? Tipping ends? Steering pump?? The reservoir?

3. is it a dealer-only repair, or meineke or midas can fix it as well?

Thanks, and sorry for such stupid questions.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You can put fluid in it again to get you where you need to go, or probably be fine only driving it 12 minutes away empty.

I had a car I got for free about 12 years ago that for some reason had an empty reservoir. Who knows how long it was empty. I filled it up to "find the leak", and amazingly it never leaked. The pump howled for a bit, and I drove it around the block a few laps until the howling went away. That thing never leaked again after that, don't know why it was empty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Compstall
I put some steering fluid, and I could drive fine to the shop this morning. They should call me soon, hopefully it is fixable and not too much money. There's also some whining noise, more revs more noise, I wonder if it is steering-related as well. I'll report back on their findings.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Thanks, Compstall
I put some steering fluid, and I could drive fine to the shop this morning. They should call me soon, hopefully it is fixable and not too much money. There's also some whining noise, more revs more noise, I wonder if it is steering-related as well. I'll report back on their findings.
When the fluid is low, the steering box will make a whining noise. There is probably just air in the system due to the leak and the fact you had low fluid. Once the air gets flushed out of the system, it goes back to normal. For the short period of time it was happening, I wouldn't think the whining would be a problem.

Your description leads me to believe that your hose needs replaced or it just wasn't seated properly on the reservoir. The hose is like a $30 part and should be a quick install. Flushing the air out of the system should only take a take few minutes. I blew a steering hose out on the trail earlier this year and once I got back from the parts store with the new hose, it was about 20 minutes tops to get me back up and running.

If the reservoir is leaking, you may need a new steering pump since I believe its integrated with the pump (not 100% sure though since it's a WJ). Even if it's the pump, I would still replace the hose since it's probably 7 years old and possibly starting to weaken if it hasn't already.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Meineke guys told me it's a high-pressure steering hose, gave me $225 total estimate, but they couldn't find the part. I guess I'll have to go to a dealer, or get the part online somewhere and then shop around for installation. I'm afraid I'll ness it up if I try to DIY.

·
Registered
12 Posts
yep that's a common WJ problem.
Also the new hose will have a different fitting on the top and won't thread far into the reservoir but it works.

It's a easy DIY. Just take your time.

+ you need the special Mopar fluid.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes, if it's a high-pressure hose it will definitely be more expensive; on the low-pressure side you can use just about any kind of hose since it's just a gravity-feed as long as it's oil compatible.

·
Registered
660 Posts
FYI, those hoses sell for under $30 at AutoZone...

I'm not sure what the normal shop rate is where you live, but that's basically $200 in labor to replace a hose, pour in more fluid, turn the steering wheel a few times, and pour in more fluid. That said, that estimate seems a bit more reasonable when you figure they probably will take it for a test drive to get everything warm make sure nothing is leaking (something that I admittedly didn't do since I did the repair myself and didn't need to worry about the "customer" being upset if there still was a problem).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, those $25 replacement hoses do not fit even though they are listed as compatible. I had to get one from the dealer for $92. Labor cost me $180 at Meineke (dealer wanted $400). Meineke guys told me they had to remove the pump to get the line replaced.

I also discovered that I have a hydraulic fan (no steering - no fan!). Thankfully, the steering is fixed now. What's next? LOL

·
Registered
317 Posts
No, those $25 replacement hoses do not fit even though they are listed as compatible. I had to get one from the dealer for $92. Labor cost me $180 at Meineke (dealer wanted $400). Meineke guys told me they had to remove the pump to get the line replaced.

I also discovered that I have a hydraulic fan (no steering - no fan!). Thankfully, the steering is fixed now. What's next? LOL

IT'S A JEEP THING GRAPESH!!!
:p

GLAD IT IS DONE THOUGH, SHAME ABOUT THE PRICE MATE. :eek:

·
Registered
128 Posts
WHat?!?!?! Had to remove the pump? I did mine in about 2omin without even jacking it up off the ground.

That's a lot of labor charge, but you won't have the problem again. That hose has been re-designed 3 times.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They probably follow some official instructions from DVD.
Dealer wanted 3.5 hours worth labor (!).

Now it's all done anyway, could have been much more $$ if that was bad pump.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts