Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
still trying to figure out why my overdrive wont work. hasnt worked since i bought it...except one day it did for like an hour and then stopped again never to return yet. changed filter and fluid, nothing. Kickdown cable is good and adjusted perfect, put the new sensors in the transmission along with new fluid and filter for the second time. It goes into what i think must be 3rd gear lock up or whatever cuz when i hit the od button to turn it off it jumps up a few hundred rpms. just not going into overdrive. When i had the tranny shop hook the snap on scanner up it couldnt connect to the computer for some reason. Could my pcm/tcm be messing up? I find it hard to believe that the overdrive clutches are out since it worked perfect for that hour no slips or anything. Every other gear shifts like it just came off the show room. This is starting to suck since i end up driving highway a few times a month for a few hour drive so gas is killing me and dont like running at 3000-3200 rpms for that long of a drive. Any ideas would be great!

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
My 46RH OD unit went out back in 2000. Dealer didn't even bother diagnosing - they simply swapped out the OD unit and haven't had a problem since.

3000 - 3200 rpm's won't hurt the motors at all.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I dont think its the overdrive clutches Its gotta be something else... something simple and cheaper than swapping out the OD unit. TPS? Bad TCM? something else????

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeah I dont think its the overdrive clutches Its gotta be something else... something simple and cheaper than swapping out the OD unit. TPS? Bad TCM? something else????
Well if you know it's not that then you must know what it is, to just discount someone who has had the same problem as you? I mean if you want help then put out your question and read the responses and then thank whom ever is trying to help you.;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input bud but I never said I knew what it was and I didnt say anything bad about his post! I was just simply saying I dont think that it is the overdrive clutches... Seeing as it didnt work for a few weeks when i bought it, then randomly one day it worked perfect for a hour or so then didnt work again since. So if you dont have anything worth while saying.... keep your stupid comments to yourself. I do appreciate everyones input on this, well except yours

·
Registered
135 Posts
bring it to your local tranny shop for a test drive.they will usually drive and diagnose it for free,in hopes of you letting them fix it for a fee.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ha trust me i have... they say my overdrive clutches are out. Have had them tell me my transmission was bad in two previous vehicles when in fact both times they were a sensor... But I think I will try another tranny shop and see what they have to say

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
took it to another tranny shop and he was 85% sure it was my overdrive/tcc lockup solenoid... well it wasnt cuz i just got done putting it in and it still doesnt work! whats left? my speedo works fine so it not the output speed sensor... anything else? when i unplug my neutral saftey switch the jeep kinda runs rough for a second and then runs out normal... wont start with it off though. when i plug it back in it kicks rpms up and sounds more healthy. next step is a good junk yard tranny unless someone has a good idea before I find one!

·
Registered
5 Posts
took it to another tranny shop and he was 85% sure it was my overdrive/tcc lockup solenoid... well it wasnt cuz i just got done putting it in and it still doesnt work! whats left? my speedo works fine so it not the output speed sensor... anything else? when i unplug my neutral saftey switch the jeep kinda runs rough for a second and then runs out normal... wont start with it off though. when i plug it back in it kicks rpms up and sounds more healthy. next step is a good junk yard tranny unless someone has a good idea before I find one!
Did you ever figure the OD problem out? Is it working ok now? I'm having the same problem. My OD works every morning until the engine warms up. There is supposed to be a temperature sensor which tells the ECM/PCM/TCM to shut off the OD, when it gets too hot. I've ordered the service manual. When I find that sensor, I'm going to replace it. If that doesn't work, I will replace the ECM, and see if that solves he problem. If that doesn't work, I will replace the Solenoids & change the T-oil & filter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts