Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway. I have a '96 I6 ZJ with an OME 2" lift (springs and shocks, stock control arms), stock track arms, ARB bumper w/ XD9000, JKS Quicker Disconnects, and haven't installed any bump stop extensions. I'm running stock 225/75-15 rubber (please don't yell at me) but have a spare set of 31 mud terrains I'd like to swap in on 15x8 rims, 4.5" backspacing. With the front end disconnected it'll flex like crazy, how bad and where will my 31" Mud Kings rub? One night I got a slight scuff on the inner fender plastic up top, but to run 31s do I need to install some bump stop extensions to keep them from eating my Jeep?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way that slight scuff was with the stock pizza cutters, I haven't fitted the 31" Mud King XTs yet. Afraid of butchering the vehicle when I stuff a tire.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You said 2" OME lift. They only make 1" springs. Do you have the spring packers as well? If not, you only have about 1" of lift. You will need 2-3" to run 31's. I ran them fine with the 2" BB with some minor trimming in front but I didn't have the added weight of a ARB bumper and winch. I sugestion would be to add 2" BB to your 1" springs. This would give you room although you would have to relocate your front trackbar and buy a bracket for the TB in the rear at minimum. Shocks would be a good idea too with that setup. I have run it with 31's and stock control arms and it worked fine.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, OME springs and packers, measured right at 2". OME shocks as well. I did the heavy duty front springs to accomodate my ARB bumper and winch. Plus it's an I6 so not too much weight up front for that. I flex mine hard on the trails.
I've known of some people running about 2" lift with 31s but I wonder if they just ran around on the street.
BTW I'm also about to yank out the OME packers and put some other 1.75" packers in the rear, it sits level now but I kind of prefer that "jacked up" look.
Where did your 31s rub and how bad?

·
Registered
18 Posts
The front will rub a little on the bottom edge of the front bumper when you turn. You can trim this and it won't even be noticable really. If the rear rubs it will be at the front near the rocker panels right behind your door but I think you will be fine there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
hey guys..i have 1.75" spacers with my .5" spacers...31" at's...i have unbelievable amount of space here and i have tried everything, even parking it up on a very large rock on the one side and i could not make my tires rub...ok i have a desert ox grill that only weighs about 50 pounds...ok and i have these ghetto springs that my dad bought from some spring company in harrisburg...he bought them as "factory replacements" but they were more heavy duty and i swear the front ones were bigger...they were like $120 for all four ... i don't know guys i have 2 bump stop extentions in the front, and i took a jump at 60mph and my tires did not hit the wells...i was driving up the side of jack's mountain in lewistown yesterday and i still had no rubbing....hmm i wonder if i get rid of my guard and front bumper, weld some 4" pipes and put my 8000lb winch on it if i'll rub? i suggest the upgrade of a nice big 45x60 surco rack to anybody out there, i put tons of crud on it and it's great...

=OP

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I might be okay then, if I forgot to mention I do have an ARB bumper up front w/ Warn XD9000 so front rubbing should not be an issue. Rear, well two of the old Mud Kings are worn down a bit so they'll go in the back to help with rubbing.
I've heard tons of poeple with ~2"-2.5" lift run 31s with little to no trouble but I think at least most of them had bump stop extensions. Well here goes, I'll order my Rock Crawler rims and slap 'em on. We'll see what happens.
I have a Surco 45x50 on top of mine, love it. It catches a little wind but it's light weight, that's why I got it. Comes in handy as a Hi-Lift mount (home made) and for spare tire. I'll post a pic here soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts