Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
861 - 880 of 882 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Howdy from Texas all...
Wife and I about to pull the trigger on a 2021 V6 GC Ltd 4x2. This will be her main ride next couple of years (except when I pry it out of her hands to disappear into the countryside). When she's ready to move on, planning to make it my go-to for being out and about.

Curious on anything that is a weak point on these last production units.

As a former Jeep guy, I've enjoyed a lot pf places and times with a '74 CJ-5, '94 GC Ltd 4x4, and the wife has had a couple of GC's in the past as well. Had a couple of Ram 1500's the last 7 years, too, that share more than a few FCA parts. A good forum community is a huge resource and I'm looking forward to jumping aboard with a Jeep again, even if it's a lighter duty rig this run.

· Registered
1998 GC Laredo 5.2 v8 Quadra trac
1 Posts
Hi from Western Oregon! I'm a old, retired fart who likes to fix things and make things. I had a M38A1 a long time ago, kept it stock. I just traded for a 1998 GC Laredo V8 auto. I was going to fix the steering and then flip it; but it grew on me so I'm keeping it. I've been reading up on the GC. Tons of good ideas out there! I've decided to make this my winter project. I have a 3.5" lift kit, 33x12.5r15 tires and wheels. Planning a DIY list....roof rack, front bumper, rear bumper, and rock rails. This sounds like an interesting group!

· Premium Member
98 ZJ 5.2, 4.5” RC lift on 265/75R17
4 Posts
Hey guys, NE S.Dakota here. On my 2nd ZJ now. 98 ZJ 5.2 w/ 165k. Bought w/ the cheapest 4.5” RC lift on 285/70R17s and missing many necessary parts. Handles like crap. All over the road. VC is going out in my existing 249 and my front D30 w/ cv axles is popping and binding. Can’t tell if it’s the vc is causing that or if the axle is bad now. Other than that, my GC is super clean... for now.
Im waiting for the new IRO front long arm upgrade and rear adj. UCAs and LCAs to show up at my door. Also picked up a HP D30 and a NP242 from a 95 1/2 XJ at work, which I have yet to put on. Needing to re-gear the D30HP (along with my rear D44A) to 4.56, if I can figure out for sure what I need to buy. And if I’ll need to swap my input shaft on the 242 or if I can get by with just an overhaul and bolt it in. I’ve never done these swaps before, but I have read as much info as I can find. Thank you to NAGCA and other Jeep forums. I still have plenty of questions. Happy to be a new member and hope to meet some other Jeep owners on the trails.
Hey guys,
Just wanted to update ya’ll on the ZJ build. After buying and collecting an assortment of parts, I finally got the Jeep on the lift. Got the new IRO rear adj. control arms on and the new 5.5” coil springs in. It looks huge compared to the 4.5” front to rear swap that it had. I Yanked the NP249 out and the donor NP242 is split apart. Everything looks really good in there and ready to put in new seals. I should put new bearings in all around, but they are in good shape so I might be willing to risk it. Today at work, I ordered new 4.56 ring and pinion and master install kit for the donor High Pinion D30 I plan to put in as well. I’ll keep you updated as the build progresses.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi, new member although I've been reading thru the many posts on this forum for years is seems. I have a 1998 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2 with many mods...don't even want to know how much I've spent on my money pit.

I just had a Performance Injection Equipment top end kit installed and waiting on a custom tune. Key mods:

Suspension/Tires
2" Rubicon Express Budget Boost
Full Rough Country Adjustable Suspension
31" Grabber General AT2 Tires on 16x8 wheels
Addco Rear Sway Bar

Power Mods
Full Kolak 3" Exhaust
Flex-A-Lite Xtreme 180
180* thermostat
FRP 2x52mm TB
Hughes EFI Airgap
PIE Level 1 Magnum EQ Iron Heads
PIE Camshaft 218/226 duration .525"/.525" lift 110 LSA
1.6 Roller Rockers
MSD Ignition Coil & 8mm plug wires
eBay CAI & TB Spacer
Spectre 98499 4" Intake Hat
Squirrelly 4" to 3.5" 45 Degree Coupler

Drivetrain
Ironman 4x4 Fab engine mounts
Ironman 4x4 Fab transmission mount
44RE Rebuild w/ Tranny Cooler & Install
Msaine Performance 28s TQ Converter
Msaine Performance Valve Body
NP242J Conversion

Have some pics in my galley. Also, more pics on instagram: @hokied1993

· Registered
'04 WJ Overland, 4.7 HO, 6" Clayton Long Arm, Bilstein's, OTK, Clayton steering,33' Nitto's, etc...
1 Posts
Just jumping on board for more answer's, opinion's, and Idea's. On my third WJ build and finding out why it's called a "build". 04 Overland, 4.7 HO, setting on a Clayton 6" long arm, with 33" Nitto's, Tom Wood's drive shafts. Working on steering geometry right now. Have a Clayton OTK set up, hoping this makes things right.

· Registered
04 Grand Cherokee. 4.7 H&K Offroad Front Reciever With Warn X8000I Torq Masters front locker.
3 Posts
Hi all. Used to be on NAXJA as EasyXjer glad there is now a GC forum on its own. Used to wheel an 87 XJ 6 inch lift lockers big tires etc. Now I have an 04 GC for very MILD offroad use. I Live in a snowy area where 4x4 is needed.

· Registered
4 Posts
Hi Folks,

New member. We are a Jeep family since 1998 when we got our first 4cyl Cherokee. Mostly we had the 4.0 stuff. I got a Gladiator recently then my son bought a 2011 5.7 GC. We did not know about the lifter issue and got bit hence we come seeking the wisdom of the forum as we will fixing this ourselves.

1992 Jeep Comanche
2000 GC 4wd 4.0
2001 Cherokee 4wd
2011 GC 5.7 Overland
2021 Gladiator

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum (obviously) but have read lots on the forum looking for simple upgrades for my ZJ. Currently my 96 ZJ has the stock 4.0, an AX15 out of a 93 YJ and an NP242 out of a 90 XJ. The front diff is still a low pinion D30 with WJ knuckles and brakes and 4.56 gears but I have a high pinion waiting to be built. The rear diff is an 8.8 out of a 90 Explorer with disk brakes and a Yukon Grizzly locker, also 4.56 gears. The wheel base has been stretched about 8 inches overall including moving the fuel tank back 3 inches to clear the rear end. I built both bumpers and the front carries an Engo PW10000 winch. The jeep has very little left that it came with as I even changed out the interior for a 98 5.9 limited interior. I designed the suspension on the jeep myself with a 4 link in the rear and a modified 3 link in the front. It uses a one ton steering kit from Ruffstuff mated to a snow plow durango steering gear using an XJ pitman arm. I will be installing a new power steering pump from a later 4.7 WJ along with a large cooler. The battery cables have all been upgraded for a police package dakota 160 amp alternator. There is a locking hand throttle to keep the idle up while using the winch as well. I'm sure there is more I'm forgetting.

Future will include a 4.5L stroker i am currently building, 35 inch tires (possibly 37s), new seats (doing 4 race/ supportive bucket seats and getting rid of the bench), replacing the rocker panels with sliders, maybe a roll cage, 2:1ish crawl box and flat bottom the jeep. If the mood strikes, I may just buy another cleaner ZJ and start from the inside out.

· Registered
4 Posts
Hi Folks,

New member. We are a Jeep family since 1998 when we got our first 4cyl Cherokee. Mostly we had the 4.0 stuff. I got a Gladiator recently then my son bought a 2011 5.7 GC. We did not know about the lifter issue and got bit hence we come seeking the wisdom of the forum as we will fixing this ourselves.

1992 Jeep Comanche
2000 GC 4wd 4.0
2001 Cherokee 4wd
2011 GC 5.7 Overland
2021 Gladiator

Hello,
I fell into the same hole with a 2011 5.7. Just did the cam/lifter swap. While you will be told its a lifter failure that is rarely the case. Its the cam lobe deterioration that eventually takes out the lifter roller.

After removing the intake check the oil regulator solenoid at front of engine for excessive metal. If its bad it may have gotten into the bearings too.

I removed the Condenser/Radiator to expose front of engine. The hardest part is the two bolts holding each cat to the exhaust manifolds. Soak them down before trying to remove. Order new clip nuts to ease assembly.

Most kits delete the MDS lifters. Those MDS lifters are expensive. Go stock grind or you will be messing with ECU tunes and that rarely pays off. Also need to have someone disable the MDS function for non-MDS cam.

Remove the pan to replace timing chain. Slip a 1x2 between the passenger side engine mount to get more clearance so pan can be removed from the front. Before reinstalling the rear engine/tranny brace use exposed flywheel to lock engine for front pulley bolt torquing.

Also, guaranteed you will be replacing at least a couple of broken exhaust manifold bolts. Careful grind/centerpunch/drilling for bolt extracter usually works. Get a full exhaust manifold bolt kit and use a torque wrench to install.

Surfaces have to be really clean but no scrapes or gouges. I spent more time cleaning things up than any other part of the job. I used purple power immediately followed by power washing then air blasting excess water off followed by sun bath ha. Do not let purple power sit or it will attack aluminum.

Last, the head bolts are angle tightening style so you will need a good angle torque wrench to install. Id go new bolts as its quite possible you car like mine has had a head replaced in the past and likely old bolts were reused.

· Registered
6 Posts
Hello Everyone!

I currently have a 2000 WJ Laredo 4.0L that I am resurrecting for use as weekend use utility vehicle.
It has been sitting for 3 years and I have to bring it through government inspection so I am in the process of doing a lot of maintenance. This is my 4th Jeep product. 1st was a '79 Grand Wagoneer, 2nd a '97 TJ Sport, 3rd a 88 XJ 2 door.
These things are fun and I am hooked!

· Registered
4 Posts
Hello Everyone!

I currently have a 2000 WJ Laredo 4.0L that I am resurrecting for use as weekend use utility vehicle.
It has been sitting for 3 years and I have to bring it through government inspection so I am in the process of doing a lot of maintenance. This is my 4th Jeep product. 1st was a '79 Grand Wagoneer, 2nd a '97 TJ Sport, 3rd a 88 XJ 2 door.
These things are fun and I am hooked!
Nice! We also have a 2000 WJ. Tough truck! The 42re tranny was the weak link on ours. Might check the filter screen as they are kind of small and get plugged up easily.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello all!
New guy here. Just bought my 4th Jeep (2022 G.C. "Overland").
I'm an old TJ guy, so, this Grand is quite a new step up for me. Quite the luxury ride!
Will be off, and on, the site, checking things out, like I do with any other Forum I've been involved with, or, I guess I wouldn't have signed up, LoL! Mac:cool:

· Registered
172 Posts
Hello all!
New guy here. Just bought my 4th Jeep (2022 G.C. "Overland").
I'm an old TJ guy, so, this Grand is quite a new step up for me. Quite the luxury ride!
Will be off, and on, the site, checking things out, like I do with any other Forum I've been involved with, or, I guess I wouldn't have signed up, LoL! Mac:cool:
The current generation is like sitting in a spaceship compared to just about anything prior to 2011.

· Registered
2 Posts
04 WJ - Female car enthusiast here, I do everything myself.
Been working on this baby for about six months. New Cam and lifters, tie rods, shocks. Little bit of this and that, just getting her tuned in to be a daily driver. Looking forward to engaging in this forum and learning more about working on and taking care of my JGC.

Attachments

· Registered
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
6 Posts
New to me... 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited.
Long story short, this was sitting at a Jeep dealership, somewhere out if sight. Website showed only 16 people had viewed this gem, so I thought it was a new-ish listing. Come to find out, it was on their lot for 103 days. Price had been lowered to less than the trade-in payout.
Anyway, I call her my "Easter Egg".
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate

861 - 880 of 882 Posts