Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

801 - 817 of 817 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Back in the Jeep family

Hey y'all, I'm Mack.
Bought my first Jeep from my parents back in 2017.
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 4.7L V8. Drove it until the engine went out. R.I.P.
Recently did a family transfer for a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 4.7L V8. This Jeep was bought new by my grandfather back in 2004. Then was transferred to my parents. And now to me. Getting this Jeep has been amazing. I know it's been taken care of. Probably never been put in 4Lo. 162,000 miles when I got it. Great shape and well taken care of. I just love the way these WJ's drive. I much prefer the solid front axle over the independent suspension on newer Grand Cherokees. Look forward to meeting everyone and joining in on discussions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, just bought a 2000 GC with a VeryLeaky(tm) 42re transmission, the joyous "Gross Evap Leak" (P0455), and the obligatory half-working tailgate lock mechanism!

Miraculously, the blend doors still work, don't know if PO fixed them, or I got extremely lucky.

While some consider it a waste of time, I'll probably put a Aussie in the D35 just for the sake of replacing the spider gears.

It's not really offroadable until I get a new set of tires anyways, PO went full mall crawler and has 275/75R16's . . . on a two inch bushing lift. It's in nice enough shape (AZ vehicle) that I don't want to start hacking fenders, but I can't imagine trying to off-road it like this. (Well, acutally I can, it'll be a lot of SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY TIRE VERSUS FENDER IN THE DUEL OF THE CENTURY)

Current plans:

1. Get someone with a lift to deal with the transmission, Automatics tend to be too fully of sproingy easily losable things for me, and I'm getting to old to do driveway tranny drops. :p

2. Clear the evap code, likely also a "someone with a lift" job -- Hitch+tank shield doesn't look fun and I have $5 says it's a tank-top hose (I already did the 'new gas cap' thing). Bleah. (Side note to anyone trying to help, I have the CA emissions on this, so everything is mostly under the hood instead of in the rear fender)

3. Hatch mechanism and new trim pegs are on the way from Amazon

4. New P/S Hoses, the smell of burnt P/S fluid is really getting old.

5. Sadly, the tires are brand new, otherwise I'd have no qualms about getting rid of em.

6. Muffler. Not normally top of my desires, but it's rusting through. I'm sure a Flowmaster will sound lovely on an i6 in an old tractor sort of way. (Really, I want a flowmaster for the all-stainless-with-no-padding construction, being teh loud is a secondary benefit)

=========
Long term plans:

Tubes and chromalloy shafts for the axles . . . or axle swap.

Rock sliders. I know what happens to rocker panels...

Exo cage

Better front brush guard/bumper combo with winch and KC or Hella* lights

*Yes, I know KC/Hella lights just don't have the same mall cred as Harbor Freight LED lightbars :p
=========

And now some NOOB questions:

Q1. What does the hardware that's supposed to be holding the gear selector onto the transfer case look like? I don't have any o_O Is there a kit or can I just do "micrometer and a trip to Ace Hardware" thing? I'm thinking a nylon bushing, washer, and c-clip would do.

Q2. Where do people mount recovery hooks with the factory brush guard? I had a mechanic friend look and he was puzzled too -- "You'd want to use those holes back there, but the brush guard is in the way."

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone,
For starters, I’ve owned one Jeep. I bought it at auction back in Feb 2017 for my son who just got his license.
Not wanting to spend much for a ride I spotted the Jeep real quick, bright red, with tinted windows. Plus it’s a Jeep so I know it’s 4x4 or “awd”.
We follow it around till it’s our turn to bid and I’m thinking “dang ima steal this thing!” Because everybody my age was buying wrecked crap.
Then it’s my turn... that’s when I noticed all the older folks using walking canes and a few in wheelchairs start bumping into me.
Long story short, I bought it for 1,200 not thinking I’d make it back to the house. We changed the brakes and front rotors then I titled and insured it and handed a key to the boy.
In the 3.5 yrs since, I’ve found out he hydroplaned but kept it in the road. Hit a deer on the drivers side (so that’s why it has a “new” eye 😁)
So other than putting a new single din radio and a box of kicker 12’s in the back (that reminds me, he backed into a pine tree at the end of my driveway, that’s been around longer than he has 🤯)

Now he’s bought his own truck and doesn’t want it anymore. So I’ve decided to fix it up and keep it or wash it up and sell it.
I shoulda gave him a swift kick in the pants for buying a 2wd Dodge ram. He was raised better than that 😜😜😜

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi from NY just picked up a 2020 Limited x 5.7 white been a ford guy my entire life then took this for a spin game over ....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there!

I just got a 2014 JGC overland RWD
120k miles for a deal last week! It has some interior cosmetic issues sun damaged dash and a weird missing piece of wood grain trim on the passenger side but has the smoothest ride and a great pick up. I want to mod it out after I get it a full check up under the hood and do all my used car care like changing the oil fluids and breaks the dealership swore they changed and inspected already.

My planned Mods
  • 20 inch chrome wheels
  • Barely legal tint
  • Full wrap in glossy pearl white
I'm open to suggestions on mods and all ears on the interior repairs that need to be made bonus points if you know a shop in Houston,Tx or the surrounding areas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Jeepers, Creepers, and wheelers! I am new here because well look where this is posted at! Back in March of this year the wife and I picked up our second ever Jeep (again obvious). We previously had bought a 2012 Jeep Patriot off the lot that was fun but with a growing family of 5 became small fast. The current Jeep, or as it has been named "Jack" is a 2006 JGC, black in color, and was already lifted 2.5" or 3" as I have not measured the high from stock yet. I have added a light bar and roof rack so far to it with bumpers, skid plates, and sliders coming in the future. It is riding on BF Goodwrench TKO2 A/Ts with stock rims and 2" spacers. Again it was bought this way and I have already picked out rims to replace the stocks so I can keep the 265/70R17 tires and ditch the spacers. It has Bilstein 5100's on all four corners, as for springs, the fronts are stock and the rears are IDK but will be changed out for OME springs ASAP. The upper A-arms are from JBA and the rest in stock stuff. Living in Arizona I got the vehicle home and proceeded to flush and replace all cooling system parts and gave it a much-needed tuneup. Hope to see some of you out on the trails!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good Afternoon Jeepers,

I am new here with my first WJ it’s a 2002 bone stock with the 4.0 and select-trac. I am not new too jeeps at all.
I have owned:
(2) 2dr XJ’s
(2) 4dr XJ’s
I won’t show you my stock WJ
None of which were stock.

I have also owned a full tube crawler

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello. New old guy here from Detroit area. I have an 04 GC 4.7 Limited rescued from a scrap yard ending, a couple years in now and I have it running pretty good with a few things ready to go in and on.
A little about my rig. Acquired it from a friend who totaled it for practically nothing. It was in bad shape but I wanted an eventual dedicated trail rig for out west so I took it. Turned out to be not too bad, front axle took the brunt of the hit bending the tube on the pass side pretty good and bending the LCA mount a fair amount also. It also leaked from what seemed every gasket, had no 4wd, etc. I should have walked but I wanted the last of the live axle GC's and being a Limited it is pretty loaded with the bonus of the trailer towing package. 2 years later and the list is long..
Replaced the front axle, put a Tru Trac in while I was at it, the rear is still the stock Vari Lok. Ended up replacing the cylinder heads, radiator, complete timing set and tensioners, oil pump and pan, fuel injectors, p/s pump, water pump, every gasket on the engine it seems, and did a few upgrades also. Cams from an 08, solid lash adjusters, fuel rail mod to a dual feed style, air cleaner assy from an HO. Replaced most of the sensors, put a real oil pressure gauge on it and most recently replaced the ECM, fuel pump and filter chasing what turned out to be a broken wire in the fuel pump module harness.
Also went through the entire suspension replacing bushings, tie rods and ball joints. Have had 2 XJ's and am very familiar with death wobble, wasn't falling for that trick again. Put a 2" BB and 265/75-16's on it for now with a long arm coming soon. Not going real high with it but the pass side LCA mount in the front took a pretty good shot, my friend is a weldor and patched it up pretty good but I still don't like it. 242HD case waiting to go in and a Transgo kit.
Runs perfect now with a couple trips to AZ and back from MI towing a trailer with no problems at all. Put a ton into it however I am retired and like doing this kind of thing, still cheaper than a new one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello new friends ! Just picked up my 2017 Grand Cherokee Limited (white) today. Bought it from a really clean off lease dealership. They only cherry pick the best off leases. Mine has only 12,684 miles at delivery. Tomorrow , when the weather is supposed to be beautiful.....I will go over every inch of this beautiful ride and start learning the bells and whistles. I've never owned a Jeep before. My brothers have 2 GC's , 2 Wranglers and a 1953 Willys pick up. I have in my stable....1967 Cadillac convertible (my Dad bought new and gave to me at 12 years old), 2012 Z71 Chevy Suburban, 2014 Dodge Challenger R/T , 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2 and now the used 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Bought it to replace a recently totaled 2016 Chevy Cruze. I have already noticed a problem with the start/stop saying the battery is not charged. I guess it will be my first task to look up here what the issue is and the answer to fix it. I'll tally a list and go back to the dealer for any repairs. The car is virtually spotless. I did notice others at the dealer that had paint issues along the hood leading edge. Apparently it is a "thing" with some GC's. Good thing my family has been in the auto body business for over 60 years.....hence still in possession of the Caddy. I just stopped working 28+ years as a Police Officer ( got out at the perfect time). I was also an Army National Guard helicopter pilot (Capt.) and flew UH-1 Hueys for a few years. I belong to a couple other forums and have found them to be a plethora of useful information. I hope to get an education on here. My 20 year old son will mostly be using the GC. I love my Colorado ZR2. I only tried off roading ONCE.....and it didn't go well. Got stuck in the sand with my 2008 Suburban (didn't air down) and have not tried it again since. Maybe its time to try again in my new retirement. I'm gonna need a hobby. I almost bought the "new" Chevy Blazer but after a test ride, I wasn't thrilled. I hope I made a good decision with this GC.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello from Dallas, just traded in my 2014 J GC for a 2020 Jeep GC North Edition...loving it. Have a break in road trip to Wyoming set for October.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone. New from Aurora, Ont. I bought a used 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.5 years ago and I couldn't be happier with my purchase.
It is a very comfortable vehicle, drives great... with the upgraded interior (leather, navi) a rather luxurious, smooth riding trucIts VERY reliable, too. Currently I am at 175,000 K., and other than normal maintenance (change the oil etc not bad at all! ), I haven't had
any problems what-so-ever.

801 - 817 of 817 Posts