Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

801 - 806 of 806 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Back in the Jeep family

Hey y'all, I'm Mack.
Bought my first Jeep from my parents back in 2017.
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 4.7L V8. Drove it until the engine went out. R.I.P.
Recently did a family transfer for a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 4.7L V8. This Jeep was bought new by my grandfather back in 2004. Then was transferred to my parents. And now to me. Getting this Jeep has been amazing. I know it's been taken care of. Probably never been put in 4Lo. 162,000 miles when I got it. Great shape and well taken care of. I just love the way these WJ's drive. I much prefer the solid front axle over the independent suspension on newer Grand Cherokees. Look forward to meeting everyone and joining in on discussions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, just bought a 2000 GC with a VeryLeaky(tm) 42re transmission, the joyous "Gross Evap Leak" (P0455), and the obligatory half-working tailgate lock mechanism!

Miraculously, the blend doors still work, don't know if PO fixed them, or I got extremely lucky.

While some consider it a waste of time, I'll probably put a Aussie in the D35 just for the sake of replacing the spider gears.

It's not really offroadable until I get a new set of tires anyways, PO went full mall crawler and has 275/75R16's . . . on a two inch bushing lift. It's in nice enough shape (AZ vehicle) that I don't want to start hacking fenders, but I can't imagine trying to off-road it like this. (Well, acutally I can, it'll be a lot of SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY TIRE VERSUS FENDER IN THE DUEL OF THE CENTURY)

Current plans:

1. Get someone with a lift to deal with the transmission, Automatics tend to be too fully of sproingy easily losable things for me, and I'm getting to old to do driveway tranny drops. :p

2. Clear the evap code, likely also a "someone with a lift" job -- Hitch+tank shield doesn't look fun and I have $5 says it's a tank-top hose (I already did the 'new gas cap' thing). Bleah. (Side note to anyone trying to help, I have the CA emissions on this, so everything is mostly under the hood instead of in the rear fender)

3. Hatch mechanism and new trim pegs are on the way from Amazon

4. New P/S Hoses, the smell of burnt P/S fluid is really getting old.

5. Sadly, the tires are brand new, otherwise I'd have no qualms about getting rid of em.

6. Muffler. Not normally top of my desires, but it's rusting through. I'm sure a Flowmaster will sound lovely on an i6 in an old tractor sort of way. (Really, I want a flowmaster for the all-stainless-with-no-padding construction, being teh loud is a secondary benefit)

=========
Long term plans:

Tubes and chromalloy shafts for the axles . . . or axle swap.

Rock sliders. I know what happens to rocker panels...

Exo cage

Better front brush guard/bumper combo with winch and KC or Hella* lights

*Yes, I know KC/Hella lights just don't have the same mall cred as Harbor Freight LED lightbars :p
=========

And now some NOOB questions:

Q1. What does the hardware that's supposed to be holding the gear selector onto the transfer case look like? I don't have any o_O Is there a kit or can I just do "micrometer and a trip to Ace Hardware" thing? I'm thinking a nylon bushing, washer, and c-clip would do.

Q2. Where do people mount recovery hooks with the factory brush guard? I had a mechanic friend look and he was puzzled too -- "You'd want to use those holes back there, but the brush guard is in the way."

801 - 806 of 806 Posts