Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ZJ is a 96 with the trusty old 4.0. Of course mine is first year with odb2. How can I swap in a 4.5/4.6/4.7 stroker and have no problems and all my electrical stuff still work? I like my jeep and the reliable and bulletproof 4.0 but I want more power.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
The electronics still work fine, all they do is monitor air and fuel based on demand like any other motor. I don't see why they would work any differently.

But it would be less money and work to just sell it and buy a v8 model.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But like even upgrading injectors does nothing for power because they are limited to squirt only a certain amount computer tells them to. So upping to a 24lb injector = no benefit. Adding more air to engine, also does nothing in power department. Helps throttle response but decreases power!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
You need to bring in more air, get a better fuel to air mixture, burn it and then exhaust it. Suck, squeeze, bang, blow. If not, you are kidding yourself about performance and throwing away your money.

Hunter

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to bring in more air, get a better fuel to air mixture, burn it and then exhaust it. Suck, squeeze, bang, blow. If not, you are kidding yourself about performance and throwing away your money.

Hunter
I have cut holes in air box and inner front fender and wheel lining, and cut off cat... Freer flowing, I just need the injectors. And computer limits how much fuel is squirted in, your getting same amount if u use factory injectors or 24lb

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
But like even upgrading injectors does nothing for power because they are limited to squirt only a certain amount computer tells them to. So upping to a 24lb injector = no benefit. Adding more air to engine, also does nothing in power department. Helps throttle response but decreases power!
Actually, there are injectors that you can install with a better spray pattern that will add a few hp and mpg with no other modifications, several threads about it on here.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Computer will try to reach stoichmetric O2 readings no matter the mods. More air, the computer gives more fuel. Did the same thing with my old 87 Dodge Caravan V6 when I considered a turbo. Intake and exhaust mods, fuel pressure adjustment and bigger injectors.

Now, the NGC computer in my 03 Neon doesn't play well with many mods.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
You can contack Kolak, find him on JF, and see if a mopar computer which will shift your shift points to the right, takes away your top end limiter.....

You still need a way to exhaust the fumes, freer flow cat and muffler.

Hunter

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can contack Kolak, find him on JF, and see if a mopar computer which will shift your shift points to the right, takes away your top end limiter.....

You still need a way to exhaust the fumes, freer flow cat and muffler.

Hunter
?? Link to his page? Or is his full account name Kolak?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts