Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I want to do a 249 to 231 swap on my '96ZJ 5.2liter. This seems a bit more structured toward doing the swap with a 242.

1) Are there any other "How-TO" forums anyone has seen more specific to my application (I know this is pretty specific, but I'm kind of intimidated by this at the moment)
2) Anyone have any schematics of the 231 and 249? I'm not even sure what all the different parts are and where, i.e. seals, output shafts, input shaft, annulus gear cut etc...

Much appreciated for the help guys, great forum!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am in the early stages of doing this swap. I do not have the 231 yet but tore down the long input 249 I have. I noticed some play in the planetary gear set. Not having any experience with these things I was wondering if this was normal? 145,000 miles on the 249.

Here is a video of it.

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb217/skeletonized/?action=view&current=VID_20110620_181538.mp4
I wouldn't worry about it. Mine was like that too, and it's fine now. Keep in mind, mine isn't a DD, so your decision could depend on what you plan on doing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Allright, got the input swapped and the case installed. The rear drive shaft is now too long. The 231 case is from a 97 xj and has the rubber boot style rear output (no cone) and appears to be a bit longer than the 249.

How does one go about getting the measurement for the drive shaft modification? Or do one of you gurus know off the top of your head?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Bump for major revisions

·
Registered
28 Posts
93-95 V8 ZJ's: 46RH transmission, 1.55" 23 spline input shaft
93-95 I6 ZJ's with the 42RE: .840" 23 spline input (with collar)
93 I6 ZJ's with the AW4 or AX15: .750" 23 spline input
All 96-98 ZJ's: .840" 23 spline input
All 96-01 XJ's: .840" 23 spline input
92-95 XJ's: .750" 23 spline input
91 and older XJ's: .750" 21 spline input

: 710058
So does this pretain to 231. and if so a 93 zj with 231 should strait swap into my 98 5.9 zj????? Thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
231/242 Shift Indicator Sensor

The NP249 sensor WILL NOT work in the 231, as the threaded portion is about 3 times longer. I attempted to shim it to no avail. You can however use the 249 sensor in a 242 case. XJ cases do not have the proper provision to have a fully functional VIC, however you can use the 4wd switch on the XJ to show "part time" when in 4wd.
I figure this is the best place as any to cross post some info about the sensor on the 231.

http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?25603-What-makes-the-NP-231J-from-a-ZJ-so-special&p=339937#post339937

Also included is how to splice the XJ sensor in to the ZJ harness to get some fuctionality out of the VIC.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Swiss over engineering

While upgrading my NP249 to a NP242 i decided that checking level with my finger
while having to remove a drain plug did not reach my expectations for my ZJ

Therefore i choose to instal an oil level indicator to see the level in my
TC at any time of my choosing w/o having to unscrew anything

Milling flat surface

Drilling Ø20.5mm

Tapping M22x1.5

Tapping M27x1.5

Finished machining

Visual gauge installed

I used Metric because both Drain Plug are in metric size and
also because i already have both the tools in stock in my workshop

To have the oil level at the mid of indicator it will raise the level 0.45" to be exact
this will not cause any spill by the way

The indicator come from ELESA :
GN.37707 / GN 743.1-18-M27x1.5-A
its made out of aluminum and can be used in a range of +180° / -20°
http://www.elesa.com/scheda_en_2_7367_1_4.aspx

the next step is to drill the lower drain plug to fit a temp. gauge in it

At this time my car is setting on my drive way

On going overhaul of the axles
waiting on the delivery of Aussie lockers for both axles

NP 242 waiting for final assembly

Both my axles did make noise the previous owner did not check levels
they where almost dry of any oil, all bearings in both axles need to be replaced

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great write up,
I hope to do this soon.
In the mean time, Can I drive it with the front drive shaft disconnected?
I heard it will damage the T case, is that right?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi there, I'm planning on doing the swap, but I only found a np242 from 7/94, I read at the beginning that post 94.5 that means 6/94 have late gear cut, is that information exact or just approximate? As I have a 98 5.9 I obviously need the late one. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2 Posts
np249 to np231 and np242

I would like to thank you for your time it took to do this write for the np249 to np231 and np242 swap information. Thank you and God bless

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an NP231J (3/16/92) that I ran in my 94 ZJ. I want to run an NP231 in my 97 ZJ. Can I swap out the front case and gears with those from the 249 that came in the 97? If not, what do you suggest?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you so much for the write up, it really helps many of us out.
I have a 93 gc with the 249 tc, had no ds when I got it and once I hooked one up boy does it sound bad but all the gears look great in the front end and I think all my problem is coming from the 249 tc. The former owner has drove it for 3 years with no front ds and it had no front ds when he bought it.
Now I want to swap out to a 242 tc and I am just trying to make sure I have this all correct...

I have a 93 GC I6 ZJ's with the 42RE: so from what I am reading it should be .840" 23 spline input (with collar)

I have located several 96-98 ZJ's with 242 tc and they should be : .840" 23 spline input (no collar) correct?
So this should be as simple as unbolting the old one and bolting up the new one once the collor is removed except for the linkage adjustment and such correct?
Is there any pictures on removing that collar and cant it just be carefully cut off with say a dremmel tool?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Early cut to late cut swap...

I know it's long, but I'm fairly certain this is the most in depth write up with the most information out there, so bear with me.

I ask that if anything is unclear or I have some bad information in this thread, please let me know kindly and I will be sure to edit it :thumbsup:
Hi Jr.

Thanks a million for the great swap write up.

I have a few follow up questions.

I have a 1993 NP242 transfer case that I want
to swap into a 1997 ZJ 5.2 V8.

1. I cannot find any details on doing a front case swap, is it possible to give me quick bullet point instructions?

2. Is it true, that with the 1993 NP242 internal slip yoke, that I can use my factory drive shaft?

3. After I switch the VIC harness wires, what modes will the VIC display and will the 1993 NP242 transfer case shift position switch work properly with the 1997 NP249 shift position switch?

Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello there! I have read everything through and decided to give it a try. So I managed my 242 swap last week, the instruction was perfect, so I did not seem to have any issues. But there a small problem as it is now hard to shift through the gears. What would you suggest to do now? I will be actually moving to https://populationstat.com/united-kingdom/london. So we need to fix and sell it.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts