Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1661 - 1680 of 1688 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,665
Long post beware:

So if you were forced to sell your ZJ, but knew in the short future you'd begin to build another rig, what would it be and why?

I'd love to start over w/ a stock zj and do one right on a LA and chromos in a 44HP and 9" w/ 36's(IROK) "tryin" to keep it street legal, with maybe a extra set of 35 radials for a commute "if" need be. This would inlcude boxin the unicar and likely an internal cage, simple but yet effective. As I've heard from some smart guy on here it's not the amount of pipe but the angles :D

Or, do you head over to the dark side... 4runner, gen I, II, and III yots? Fantastic rigs with a ton of potential, but it's always funny to see the die-hard yota crowd eventually convert to the dana TCs and axles etc etc. Yes, a unicar may take some work to beef, but on the other hand a yota will have to be redone to allow for links, coils etc etc.

IMO A yota p/u will never ride, steer and simply keep you warm in the winter elements I enjoy. Sometimes following a yota on the trail sounds like a wood pecker from those rigs trying to squeeze another inch outta their turning radius only to sipe their tire on their leaves(Of course hydro/hydro assist can help in both applications as far as ease).

Bottom line, I'm a believer in Yotas.....my unicar has been a headache, but it wasn't built right from the start. A buggy would be sweet (in my mind a F-toy) but I believe the comfort factor is important for some folks to keep them on the trails longer. I'm not so much thinking of myself as I am passengers... but a good snow storm would suck in a buggy even w/ a roof.

This was kinda of a thinking out loud session. What say you :D

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
If I was looking to get back on the trail as quickly as possible, I'd probably start with a gen 1 yota. If I was looking to build the perfect rig, i'd get a tube bender and build my own chassis.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Long post beware:

So if you were forced to sell your ZJ, but knew in the short future you'd begin to build another rig, what would it be and why?

I'd love to start over w/ a stock zj and do one right on a LA and chromos in a 44HP and 9" w/ 36's(IROK) "tryin" to keep it street legal, with maybe a extra set of 35 radials for a commute "if" need be. This would inlcude boxin the unicar and likely an internal cage, simple but yet effective. As I've heard from some smart guy on here it's not the amount of pipe but the angles :D

Or, do you head over to the dark side... 4runner, gen I, II, and III yots? Fantastic rigs with a ton of potential, but it's always funny to see the die-hard yota crowd eventually convert to the dana TCs and axles etc etc. Yes, a unicar may take some work to beef, but on the other hand a yota will have to be redone to allow for links, coils etc etc.

IMO A yota p/u will never ride, steer and simply keep you warm in the winter elements I enjoy. Sometimes following a yota on the trail sounds like a wood pecker from those rigs trying to squeeze another inch outta their turning radius only to sipe their tire on their leaves(Of course hydro/hydro assist can help in both applications as far as ease).

Bottom line, I'm a believer in Yotas.....my unicar has been a headache, but it wasn't built right from the start. A buggy would be sweet (in my mind a F-toy) but I believe the comfort factor is important for some folks to keep them on the trails longer. I'm not so much thinking of myself as I am passengers... but a good snow storm would suck in a buggy even w/ a roof.

This was kinda of a thinking out loud session. What say you :D
you need a pickup dude. a roll bar.. very little horsepower.. super-Uber low gears.. leaf springs....
not sure you could really get er done with the stick though:)

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,670
you need a pickup dude. a roll bar.. very little horsepower.. super-Uber low gears.. leaf springs....
not sure you could really get er done with the stick though:)
Not sure about the driver, or stick in general... :rollseyes:

A yota with a 4.3 and a TH350 would be purty sweet and has always been a dream. As long as it's a trail rig and I'm not headin for the OM or the crushers I think built yota axles would do just fine, and even better in the snow than huge "boat anchors".

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
for me i need a family hauler. take a 3/4 ton K5 and put a 4 dr. s-10 body on it. dump most the $$ into the axles, gears, shafts, selectable lockers... 40" iroks...

probably just goofy babble, but i can picture it in my head and its friggin sick.

·
Registered
439 Posts
i would start w/a 4runner cuz top off = easy cage build and fun in the summer. great running gear. easy doubler. But i'll prob trow my junk on a cherokee when the day comes. I do like the ability to jeep camp in the crappy weather, that we get alot of.

·
Registered
439 Posts
anyone know how to pick up an abandon vehicle? I carpool and park by a cherokee and am sure it is abandon. Its been sitting for weeks. I would like to get this.

·
Registered
439 Posts
oh, on the dream rig - i haven't ridden in a build yota, but i love how the cherokee or gc rides, it would be hard to give that up.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
anyone know how to pick up an abandon vehicle? I carpool and park by a cherokee and am sure it is abandon. Its been sitting for weeks. I would like to get this.
call state patrol with the VIN

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,676
Hey Jay, how are things going? Would you be interested in a run up to the rocks on Saturday maybe get away from some drama :) There should be some nice snow. I've only got a few more runs to go before I "really" sell my Jeep. It looks like I'll be moving back to the midwest in the upcoming months.

·
Registered
439 Posts
you can still come web wheel with us, well post more pics when you move!
Hey jay, if you want to do any after work wheeling up tinkham let me know. I'd like to do more local snow wheeling when it starts snowing again.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Hey guys, this divorce has really kicked my ***. I had the flat belly 90% done when it hit me and I haven't touched it since then. I probably won't be ready to wheel until next Spring the way things are lookin but thanks for the invites.

What's up with you movin Chris? We don't wanna lose you.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
sorry to hear that jay, you sounded pretty content with things earlier this year while we were chatting. hope nothing painful for ya.
I may be takin a long break here in the pace of my jeep mods too. already sold my snowmobile, and a little YJ i had plans for, trying to raise $$ for the house still. just called my bank yesterday and we'll see if im good to go yet.
Hey vinny, i wont mind if you want to sell that axle, i may be a while.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hey guys, this divorce has really kicked my ***. I had the flat belly 90% done when it hit me and I haven't touched it since then. I probably won't be ready to wheel until next Spring the way things are lookin but thanks for the invites.

What's up with you movin Chris? We don't wanna lose you.
sorry to hear that jay, and we don't want to loose chris (especially greenie)

1661 - 1680 of 1688 Posts