Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw the North west guys have their own Chatter box thread forever, figured us North east guys need one too!! So here is our spot to get up on our Soap Box and speak out about stuff concerning our neck of the woods!! Post up whats going on, when and where your wheelin, favorite wheelin spots, gripes, ect. Just a basic --Hey whats going on with the Local Grands section!! Hope it works out!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Favorite salvage yard?

So where is your favorite salvage yard to pick ZJ parts?? Most of the yards in my immediate area have either shut down or crushed all the stuff older than 10 years. Most of them didn't have many ZJ's anyway.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I guess Ohio is close to PA?! At least, last time I had a chat with Mr Rand McNally, it was.

·
Registered
134 Posts
So where is your favorite salvage yard to pick ZJ parts?? Most of the yards in my immediate area have either shut down or crushed all the stuff older than 10 years. Most of them didn't have many ZJ's anyway.
The Harry's U-Pull It in Pennsburg/Quakertown/Germansburg area always has some type of ZJ for mechanical parts, but they are always hit, front usually damaging any plastic bumpers (grey) and header panels with lights, black door panels and 96-98 wheels. Past those things listed, they are pretty much intact usually.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Are there any smaller cliques in the surrounding Allentown,Bethlehem or Quakertown areas? I like the plethera of knowledge here on the large forums, but like the thunderbird forums sccoa.com/tccoa.com they are a huge group of people and you can't possibly know everyone on a personal level, so we made a local chapter tstacc.com, anything like that for these areas?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are there any smaller cliques in the surrounding Allentown,Bethlehem or Quakertown areas? I like the plethera of knowledge here on the large forums, but like the thunderbird forums sccoa.com/tccoa.com they are a huge group of people and you can't possibly know everyone on a personal level, so we made a local chapter tstacc.com, anything like that for these areas?

jeffdaniels.com has a forum on it also. I belong to that, but there is rarely anyone on there chatting. They are a local Jeep shop , Harleysville, and so attract a lot of Phila, Allentown people on their forum. I am from the Souderton area, so I know where you are at. In fact Harry's u-pull it is where we are planning to go for parts :)

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess Ohio is close to PA?! At least, last time I had a chat with Mr Rand McNally, it was.

Yeah Ohio is local in a general scheme of things, just bustin on Green :) I still concider him a N.E. Zj man even though he is in denial!! HA ha

·
Registered
134 Posts
jeffdaniels.com has a forum on it also. I belong to that, but there is rarely anyone on there chatting. They are a local Jeep shop , Harleysville, and so attract a lot of Phila, Allentown people on their forum. I am from the Souderton area, so I know where you are at. In fact Harry's u-pull it is where we are planning to go for parts :)
I know and like the JD crew, but their forums will not let me register or they are "not accepting new registrations at this time". I wen't two years ago or so with my 93 5.2 3-3-31 setup to the march meet they had at R.creek and had a blast.

Being the only GC their that day, we were the oddball that was out crawling the wranglers in the group.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know and like the JD crew, but their forums will not let me register or they are "not accepting new registrations at this time". I wen't two years ago or so with my 93 5.2 3-3-31 setup to the march meet they had at R.creek and had a blast.

Being the only GC their that day, we were the oddball that was out crawling the wranglers in the group.

Very cool!! Hope to tag along with them summer or fall this year!! You have to send a message to FUNHOG to get your forum app accepted. Click on his name and then his email, they had too many spammers joining and posting some nasty stuff up!!

·
Registered
469 Posts
if ur lookin for a yard with zj's, theres a yard down by me right off of the maryland/PA line, called state line auto salvage....prolly 10+ zjs, V8 and 6cyl, and theres a 5.9 too.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if ur lookin for a yard with zj's, theres a yard down by me right off of the maryland/PA line, called state line auto salvage....prolly 10+ zjs, V8 and 6cyl, and theres a 5.9 too.

Thanks LancasterZJ!! I will have to check that out!! RockZJ is looking for 5.9 parts so have to let him know!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
The Harry's U-Pull It in Pennsburg/Quakertown/Germansburg area always has some type of ZJ for mechanical parts, but they are always hit, front usually damaging any plastic bumpers (grey) and header panels with lights, black door panels and 96-98 wheels. Past those things listed, they are pretty much intact usually.
I visited the one in Hazelton a few times and never saw more than a handful of salvageable ZJs, but they rotate their stock almost weekly and they are absolutely worth the trip if you are in the area. I'm planning a trip there in the early spring just to rummage around. The prices are dirt cheap and the more you buy, the more they are willing to overlook.

·
Registered
231 Posts
As for places to wheel in the area... As a beginning with almost no friends who are into wheeling, finding a decent/legal place to go within a reasonable drive has been terrible. I know the Pine Barrens are supposed to be a hotbed of activity, but it's a 40 mile or so drive. I went back the Menantico Ponds with my brother and was impressed but later found out that it was illegal. DOD, not legal. At 8MPG, driving 50 miles for a one day wheeling trip gets expensive!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As for places to wheel in the area... As a beginning with almost no friends who are into wheeling, finding a decent/legal place to go within a reasonable drive has been terrible. I know the Pine Barrens are supposed to be a hotbed of activity, but it's a 40 mile or so drive. I went back the Menantico Ponds with my brother and was impressed but later found out that it was illegal. DOD, not legal. At 8MPG, driving 50 miles for a one day wheeling trip gets expensive!

Know the feeling, LEGAL wheeling locations are tough to find around here to! Used to be able to run the power lines, but not no more :( And mine gets 12 MPG, but that still gets costly running 40 miles one way just to get there!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Know the feeling, LEGAL wheeling locations are tough to find around here to! Used to be able to run the power lines, but not no more :( And mine gets 12 MPG, but that still gets costly running 40 miles one way just to get there!!
So I shouldn't complain about 17.9mpg with the 4.0? :p

·
Registered
344 Posts
Nope 17.0 MPG is great.

1 - 20 of 188 Posts