Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if i put my jeep in 4 low start it up as soon as i put it in geer it makes a horible striping geer noise.
is there anything im doing worng or is ther some thing foin on with my tc.
the front driveshaft is currently out but when i tryed puting it in 4 low it was still in.
its not like i need 4 low but i was just wondering.
thanks
kevin

p.s i wrote this on my ipod touch so dont give me ish

·
Registered
109 Posts
The only time i've experienced this is when i didn't fully shift the TC handle back. Are you sure the handle cant go back farther in anyway? IS your transmission in nuetral when you do this?

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
If your handle is going all the way back when you shift, make sure that the linkage is working correctly. I had mine come out of the pivot point on the t-case before (on the ZJ) and had to replace a bushing to keep the linkage in place. It could also need to be adjusted.

When it grinds, does it say in one place and not move?

·
Registered
341 Posts
if you get caught in neutral you pretty much have to shut the motor off to get it back into range. try locking it into 4low then starting back up and going.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Shift fork is probably wore and won't let it engage all the way and causing the gear teeth become striipped to. Even when able to coax it into gear, a bad fork will allow it to jump out of gear again. Chain will start to stretch too as things warm up and the gear takes hold abrubtly and grabs the chain.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeh ive tryed just about everything you guys said.
the fork or that bushing must be whats causing it.
i dont wanna crack the t.c. oper to fix it.
thanks for the info guys

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
I would get under the Jeep and disconnect the shifter from the t-case. I would then manually shift it into low range while the vehicle is off and in park. Then get in and see if it will stay in and operate properly in low. If it does, you have a problem with the linkage somewhere. If it still has problems, your problem is internal in the t-case.

·
Registered
708 Posts
i put my transmission in neutral then shifted the t-case into 4-low and drove on no problem..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts