Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I am obviously new here hence my post in the "new here" section. My ticket to join is my (new to me) 2001 WJ limited. This is my second Jeep, the first was an XJ but it was only 2x4. This Jeep has the 4.7 engine but it is making a bad rod knock noise with 130K on the odo. I bought this jeep from my son who forgot to put oil in it. The plus is the original owner is a good friend of mine so I know the history from new. I am in the middle of pulling the engine but have started the mod and maintenance process as well. All this in the works:
-change diff and X-fer case fluids (Quadra-drive needs its friction modifiers refreshed)​
-check ball joints - she has 130k on them​
-2" IRO spring lift​
-Bilstein shocks​
-Bushwacker flares-because I like the look and I don't want to rub the new tires (time to bend some metal)​
-New (takeoffs) Rubicon 245/75 R17s - damn they look big (good thing I have flares)​
-Planning on fabing my own front and rear bumpers- rear to hold the spare since it won't fit in the spare hold now​
-Probably get the $100 roof basket from Walmart to see if I use it​

My intent is to do overlanding and enjoy some camping in the middle of now where! I have done some advturin on my KTM 1190 adventure but want the option of 4 wheels too.
I am very excited about my build.
before:

now:

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ / 2010 JEEP JK
5 Posts
Hi All,
I am obviously new here hence my post in the "new here" section. My ticket to join is my (new to me) 2001 WJ limited. This is my second Jeep, the first was an XJ but it was only 2x4. This Jeep has the 4.7 engine but it is making a bad rod knock noise with 130K on the odo. I bought this jeep from my son who forgot to put oil in it. The plus is the original owner is a good friend of mine so I know the history from new. I am in the middle of pulling the engine but have started the mod and maintenance process as well. All this in the works:
-change diff and X-fer case fluids (Quadra-drive needs its friction modifiers refreshed)​
-check ball joints - she has 130k on them​
-2" IRO spring lift​
-Bilstein shocks​
-Bushwacker flares-because I like the look and I don't want to rub the new tires (time to bend some metal)​
-New (takeoffs) Rubicon 245/75 R17s - damn they look big (good thing I have flares)​
-Planning on fabing my own front and rear bumpers- rear to hold the spare since it won't fit in the spare hold now​
-Probably get the $100 roof basket from Walmart to see if I use it​

My intent is to do overlanding and enjoy some camping in the middle of now where! I have done some advturin on my KTM 1190 adventure but want the option of 4 wheels too.
I am very excited about my build.
before: https://www.jeepzine.com/best-oil-for-5-4-triton

View attachment 13144
now:
View attachment 13145
When an engine starts to get low on oil the first symptom is overheating as the parts start to rub against each other (no oil film). This will progress and you'll see smoke start to billow out as the remaining oil starts to vaporize from the heat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts