Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is third weekend my 2007 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo has left me stranded on weekend.It runs all week but acts up on weekends.It doesnt crank or turn over.no sound other than relay tryna engage,I think.No engine light on.no other issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
When it fails to start, look at the digital gear indicator in your dash. If all the gears are showing enclosed in a box, then the problem is in the circuit panel attached to the shift lever in the console. My 2007 CRD does this intermittently and I have to jiggle the handle until the box is only showing on park. There's a video online somewhere that shows how to take things apart to clean the contacts, or the entire switch assembly can be replaced. This may or may not be your issue, but I hope it helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for replying and helping.Im still s bit confused on what you saying,by if the gears showing enclosed on a box??? I did put it in neutral and tried to start it and it still wouldnt start but i never wiggled it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you look at the dash when the key is on, you will see the gears lit up in green lower middle of the instrument cluster P R N D... If more than one of those is enclosed in a box, the computer can't tell what gear you are in. Mine is not too bad, so I can wiggle the shifter until the box only shows around the P for Park and then the Jeep starts as it should.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also have a 2007 GC Laredo with the 3.7L. You didn't state what engine you had, but I had the same problem with mine a couple of times. First time the starter was replaced. Worked for a while then it happened again. Either the starter is out and/or the wiring connections at the starter are bad. Second time I replaced the connection harness and the starter. No problem since. There is a harness repair kit for the connections at the starter. Common problem with corroded wire and connectors at the starter for these vehicles.

Next time it happens, get someone to assist you to attempt to start it. Up near the power steering pump you should see where the wiring harness splits to go to the starter. Pull and jiggle the harness at this location while your assistant attempts to start. May or may not work.

Funny story...we put up with this for while....jiggling the wire harness. One day my wife was out and the truck wouldn't start. She knew what to do but there wasn't anyone around. Being a smart lady, and using ingenuity, she tied a small rope on the wiring harness and strung it back to the drivers seat. About that time a fella walked by and ask if he could help. She said no she thought she had it. He ask what she was doing and she responded that she was starting the truck. He gave her a funny look. She pulled the rope and started the truck. Guy about fell over and said he'd seen it all now.........pull start an engine with a rope! LOL

Good Luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Omg,that is funny.thanks so much for your reply.my mechanic was positive it was the starter and he said it was the same factory starter so I really hope and pray🙏🏾 it is with🤞🏾.God forbid it does,I will definitely do what u said.also,I have same 3.7 engine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Omg,that is funny.thanks so much for your reply.my mechanic was positive it was the starter and he said it was the same factory starter so I really hope and pray🙏🏾 it is with🤞🏾.God forbid it does,I will definitely do what u said.also,I have same 3.7 engine.
Hope the new starter fix it. Update us

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've made it almost a week with no issues so my 🤞🏾.will update in about another week if things go well but will be back sooner if I have issues again.thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
IDK if your starter is visible like my 4.0 six but I used to wack mine with a hammer when it wouldn't start. If there's a bad segment on the armature beating on it jiggles it to a good segment sometimes. I did replace the starter BTW. The hammer test is a cheap way to determine if the newer permanent magnet starter is the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We replaced starter and I haven't had any issues n a week so,my fingers 🤞🏾 that fixed issue.Thanks so much for ur reply.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you have the mechanic cut off the connectors on the wiring and install a new pigtail? If not, hope the mechanic clean the connectors really well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
IDK if your starter is visible like my 4.0 six but I used to wack mine with a hammer when it wouldn't start. If there's a bad segment on the armature beating on it jiggles it to a good segment sometimes. I did replace the starter BTW. The hammer test is a cheap way to determine if the newer permanent magnet starter is the problem.
The starter on this vehicle is not visible. Can't see it from the top. from under the vehicle you can barely see it. One can JUST barely reach the starter and only touch it with your fingertips from under the vehicle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts