Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 and a 98 GC. I am in the process of attempting to swap out the 249s in each of them and put in same year specific 242s taken from gc.
Will these bolt right up with everything or will I still have to change input shafts, etc?

I am also curious as to the possibility of locking front hubs. I can't seem to find anything for these.

Thanks

·
Registered
159 Posts
For your first question, maybe. AFAIK there is no way to tell what length input shaft you have without dropping the tc and checking. Getting the 242's from same year ZJ's should improve your chances of getting the same length inputs, but there is a chance they might not. For your second question, there is a kit but I don't remember who makes it. Also from what I remember it was pretty expensive, more money than most people would spend on a D30. There is also a thread somewhere on here that has some information on swapping D44 knuckles onto the D30 housing or something like that.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you have a V8 in either one of those GC your not going to find the right input shaft. You will have to take the input shaft from the 249 and swap into your 242.

As for locking hubs you find nothing other than conversion kits. Unibody jeeps run unit bearings simliar to a fwd drive car. You need the axle shaft solid to the bearing to keep it preload so it doesn't fail.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Whether or not you need to swap input shafts depends on the year. Between 96-98 I believe the 249's and 242's use the same 0.840", 23-spline input shafts. Earlier years were a mess.

I can tell you that I took a 242 from a 99 and it bolted in place of my 96 249 no problem.

The following table might help:

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/transfer_case_replacements_and_parts/jeep.html

As always you need to read these tables with a grain of salt. Errors can, and do, occur.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rookie at t case swap

Hey thanks a ton guys. This is a great site and you are a big help.
My two 242s will be here early this week so I can see if they match my old inputs or not.
Yes, I have 5.2s in both zjs.
My son just left today for the Air Force and his is the '94. My plan is to surprise him when he gets out of basic with his newly swapped T-case. I thought I might as well do my '98 at the same time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts