Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum.. But not to the Jeep..

I'm about at my wits end with my 2003 grand Cherokee..
It has the 4.0 in it.. And here is what I'm experiencing..
Keep in mind this is all been within the last three months..
Giving you all the problems in case I missed something..

Battery died in a restaurant parking lot.. Replaced with Interstate.
Soon after got a code for a leak in the vacuum system.. I smoked out the leak and replaced the line and cleared the code..
Soon after.. P1763 came up and I sent it to a trusted trans shop because my knowledge of cars ends at automotive transmissions.. They replaced the gov. pressure sensor.. And ran a new wire from the PCM to the transmission.. again I know nothing about transmissions but I also had them rebuild the transmission because the snap ring for the overdrive was broken?? Anyway.. Got the jeep back and since I've had a magnitude of issues..
Started idling funny.. First just idling low.. And then surging.. Like it would in a quick instant go from 650 RPMs up to 1250 rpm's.. Then immediately drop back down again.. P0340 (cam shaft position sensor) came up.. I replace the camshaft position sensor.. Cleared the code.. Makes no difference.. I've then replaced spark plugs, boots, and then replaced the camshaft sensor again..!
The camshaft position sensor P0340 came back up again and again.. And also the P1763 transmission governor pressure sensor is coming back on.. In the jeep is back to shifting really erratically.. The overdrive and trans over temperature light coming on.. To get back to the trans shop.. They say that there is something causing it to go out because of my cam positioning sensor and the way the vehicles idling is causing the tranced Gov. pressure sensor to read wrong.. I can't figure this idle out.. The jeep drives so smooth once it's not idling any longer.. So I can't think it's timing.. But every once in a while while starting up it will act like it doesn't want to start like the timing is off..

Any suggestion????

Thanks in advance for your help..

-Spencer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oops.. Forgot to mention that I did also replace the throttle positioning sensor.. And the Air idle control valve..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah.. Putting genuine Jeep parts in it because I hear that's an issue if you don't..

I just scanned it again.. Other then the trans codes that it's been throwing..
It said this..
P0340 -no signal from camshaft position sensor found at the PCM
P0300 -multiple cylinder misfire detected

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yeah.. Putting genuine Jeep parts in it because I hear that's an issue if you don't..

I just scanned it again.. Other then the trans codes that it's been throwing..
It said this..
P0340 -no signal from camshaft position sensor found at the PCM
P0300 -multiple cylinder misfire detected
From what i've read on here, it's possible for the pins to/from the pcm to sometimes get corroded or loose. Since you replaced the cam sensor but still got the same code, i'd check those connections.. pull it apart, clean, inspect and i'd use some dielectric grease on 'em as well. There's a mess of wires there, and if one's bad, several could be. Just a thought.. something to check that doesn't make your wallet thinner ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts