Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The wifes 97 is doing the surge thing when you put it in gear. I don't like the looks of the fluid. I mail ordered a solenoid and sensor kit and installed them today. Installed a new filter and gasket. Had to clean aluminum off almost half the bolt threads to the tranny pan so I'll be on the hunt tomorrow for thread inserts. (Alum case tranny brings on the suck)

I need to flush this thing and flush it good, right here where it sits. Using the search here I came up with a thread about flushing where someone started with 6 quarts. Opened the return line and then put it in neutral and let her pump till it was clean.

Can anyone tell me:

how much I'll need? I live far enough in the sticks you gotta plan it out, can't just run to the parts store if I need another quart.

What line is the return line?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And what's with the tranny pan bolts being non metric? I'm at the hardware store trying to match up threads for these and can't find anything. 8mm x 1.25 doesn't quite fit and the guy at the hardware store looks at it and walks to the other side of the aisle and screws a 5/16 threadsert onto the thing!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Operation appears to have succeeded. Drove the vehicle on 3 short test drives late today. Shifts better than it ever has since we owned it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
were you able to find the return line and everything? I am looking at doing this to my 95 ZJ with the 42RE tranny. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, two lines coming forward to the radiator from the transmission running along side the oil pan for the engine, one over the other. Top line had a fitting with 19mm nuts that was easy to reach right there almost under the radiator. I opened it up and hung them over a big tub underneath. All I had to do was start the vehicle and let it idle in park.

I had 10 quarts of castrol atf+4 and I put 6 in to start after having the pan off. I used up all 10 and it could use a little topping off. I'd have 12 quarts on hand myself if I do it again. Actually now that I've done this one I'm going to start getting what I need to do the AW4 in mine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts