Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new to us 01 Grand Cherokee has an issue with the turn signals working only when they want to. While I was installing the new stereo receiver yesterday, I took a look at the Multi-Function Switch and saw someone had flooded the switch with oil in a misguided attempt to resolve the problem. I removed the switch and flushed it with electronic parts cleaner. While it was drying, I began probing the connector for the switch with my test light and found the turn signal relay would moan when activated rather than click.

The hazard light relay works 100% like it should, but the turn signals seldom work, maybe 5% of the time. When they do work, the flash is solid and the relay makes a healthy clicking, but most of the time, nothing happens when the MFS is activated.

From what I have found so far, the 2000-2001 WJ shares the same model BCM, though I have not been able to verify this with a part number. FCA no longer manufactures the BCM for the 2001 WJ and there isn't an aftermarket replacement available. Our WJ is a 4.0L Laredo with the Selec-Trac NV242 transfer case.

I'm wondering if it is possible to replace the relay in my BCM or is there a reputable vendor that refurbishes these? So far, this is the only electrical issue we are experiencing.

-Joe

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. Good to know. The MFS was my first guess, but I didn't want to just start throwing parts at it. When I was probing with my test light, the relay sounded questionable, but when the turn signal IS working, it sounds healthy. I may just try one from Pull-a-Part first.

That might also explain why someone flooded the switch with oil, too.

-Joe

·
Registered
29 Posts
According to rockauto.com parts manual the flasher relay is external. I like your idea of trying a MFS from the junk yard. I don't know if you have ever had your steering wheel off before but don't bother finding a puller. You can just muscle it off. Leave the nut on with just a few threads so you don't smack your nose when the wheel breaks free. Be careful if you have to remove the clockspring. If you need a workshop manual for your Jeep check out: http://website.informer.com/visit?domain=pacificcoastmanuals.com

Find the wrangler page and scroll all the way down to the one for your year only. It is about 8 bucks to download. I have downloaded 3 of them and am impressed. They are about 2000 pages and very detailed. I copied them to all of my computers and a key ring thumbdrive. Sounds like you need the switch. Den

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to rockauto.com parts manual the flasher relay is external. I like your idea of trying a MFS from the junk yard. I don't know if you have ever had your steering wheel off before but don't bother finding a puller. You can just muscle it off. Leave the nut on with just a few threads so you don't smack your nose when the wheel breaks free. Be careful if you have to remove the clockspring. If you need a workshop manual for your Jeep check out: http://website.informer.com/visit?domain=pacificcoastmanuals.com

Find the wrangler page and scroll all the way down to the one for your year only. It is about 8 bucks to download. I have downloaded 3 of them and am impressed. They are about 2000 pages and very detailed. I copied them to all of my computers and a key ring thumbdrive. Sounds like you need the switch. Den
There is no reason to pull the steering wheel for the MFS. The cancel cam is working like it should. The MFS is under the steering column trim, held on with one screw through the bottom and then the two halves snap together. I've already had it out once for cleaning. Two Phillips head screws hold it in place.

That's good info about the flasher relay. When I hit up the Pull-a-Part, I'll see about grabbing the BCM with the relay as well. I shouldn't need it, but if I can have a spare on hand for troubleshooting, it will be a cheap investment.

-Joe

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked at RockAuto for the flasher and found the same unit handles both the turn signals and the hazard lights, and was used for all five years of WJ production (1999-2004) with the same part number for all years without the daytime running lights option. Since the flasher, also called a light control module, was just a bit over $20 new, costs about what it would take me to get one from a salvage yard, (entry fee, cost of part, time and gas), I just ordered one.

If the light control module doesn't fix my issue, I'll hit the pull-a-part for a used turn signal switch and continue to troubleshoot from there.

-Joe

·
529 Posts
as far as I know/remember on the switch it is just the connector pin block that breaks away from the rest of the switch, so if this has happened you will see the broken solder joints that need repairing :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
as far as I know/remember on the switch it is just the connector pin block that breaks away from the rest of the switch, so if this has happened you will see the broken solder joints that need repairing :)
I'm good there. The pin block where the connector meets the switch isn't broken, unless it is internal. I had the switch off the column the other day to clean it out.

-Joe

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The new flasher/light control module should arrive later this week. I'll post an update if it is the fix or not. The MFS is easy enough to change out if that is the problem.

-Joe

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well last week, I hit up the local pull a part yard and grabbed a MFS for troubleshooting. The multi-function switch did not fix my issue. Also the new light control module arrived, but I haven't had enough time to swap it yet.

-Joe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts