Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, The fever has started, and I'm really ready for the first chance to get a trail ride going. I know that Uwharrie is currently closed, but opening day is just around the corner! So lets get this thing started:

Does anyone have an idea for a date? I'm booked solid right now, but I can make time for a daytrip. (It really sucks to be an accountant in the middle of tax season but hey - it pays the bills) My deal is that I'm working 6 days a week from here on out to April 15, but I just want to see something on the East Coast listed on here. :D

Is there any interest in a trip? The park website http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/uwharrie/index.htm says that the park opens April 1st, but the info looks a little dated. Chime in folks, lets get this thing started so I know when my mods need to be done! ;)

Hank

G

·
0 Posts
jeepin hank, i live in southern WV and would love to do some wheeling in NC. i know there are 2 scheduled Jeep Jamborees near murphy, NC. April is the first and the second i believe is in october. i have never done any wheeling down there but have friends that live in Boone,NC. i would love to check out the Tellico area.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Woody,
Yeah, Tellico is a nice place. I've never conquered it personally, but I have aspirations of hitting it one sometime this summer. It's got some pretty challenging sections, so I don't quite feel up to the task YET. :) I'll at least have some rocker protection before I head up that way, and I'm looking at a couple of months for that. If there is a Jeep Jambo up there in April, maybe I could try to make it then. Do you have any more info on the event?

Thanks
Hank

G

·
0 Posts
jeepin hank, the Appalachian april jamboree is the 12th - 14th, the town of Murphy is the home base for the event. I'm sure your more familiar with that area than i am but the jamboree guide book says that it takes place in the Nantahala and Cherokee national forests. Im guessing that they are talking about the trails at tellico. Trail ratings on the Jamboree scale are from 5 - 9 so i expect it to be on some pretty exciting terrain. Registration fees are $225 per adult, kids 7-14 $100 , kids 3-6 $75. camping is available. Rv's are welcome. Tow hooks are of course mandatory . Rocker protection of some sort is advised for the longer wheelbase vehicles. I think you can register at http://www.jeepunpaved.com/woj/jamborees
phone(530)333-4777 fax(530)333-2844
you can request a Guidebook by calling 1-800-925-jeep.
i have never been to a jamboree but would definitely go to this one if i have the loot in time for a new set of tires and a full size spare.
Jamboree or not i would like to make a trip to tellico at some point this spring or summer. I know that NAXJA has a trail run down there at some point each year. I am guessing it would be considerably cheaper to
run the trails aside from the Jamboree Gathering. I thought I saw somewhere on the website that there was a minimal fee to go and run the trails for a day.
if you know of any other hardcore ZJ owners in the area maybe we could organize a small ZJ run at some point.

WOODY

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: New School Woody on 2002-02-20 23:13 ]</font>

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Woody-
A trip up to tellico would be great. The Jamboree sounds like fun, but I'm more of a low budget trail rider. My big motivation for GSE is the fact that I can meet some other ZJ owners. I think there are a few other hardcore guys that would be willing to head that way, so I think we might be able to get a small trailride organized. There was a big one held for RCR organized over on JU, but I think most of those guys are always up for a well planned trip. We'll have to start looking into setting one up!

Hank

·
Registered
43 Posts
woody, i'm stationed in ms now. was in wa but anyhow. i'm from winston-salem nc. i frequent there alot. i would love to go wheel out at uwharrie some time. i will be gone come summer though. drop me an e-mail.
brad

G

·
0 Posts
just printed out the application form for Grand Slam East 2002. Guess i'll see you guys there. only 3 months left, to wear out these BFG's.

Hank, if you or chopped ZJ or anybody has any info about the Tellico area relating to cost of access or any first hand knowledge of the area send me an e-mail at [email protected]

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Woody,
Here is the info that can be found here at NAGCA:

Tellico Info

The fee is $5.00 a day. There's a link to a pretty good map there too. I'd love to head up to Tellico later this summer, so let me know when/if you plan on heading this way!

Hank

G

·
0 Posts
Hank, thanks for the info.

I will be in Boone,NC the 3rd week in July (15th - 21st) a friend of mine is getting married so i am going down for the wedding. Sounds like the perfect opportunity to head on down to Murphy.

WOODY

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have been to tellico many times. Mostly with my CJ, but last year was not able to take it so I took my newly acquired and heavily modified ZJ. The pucker factor is definitely higher in a ZJ due to the possible darnages, but my ZJ kicked ass and I was very suprised. There are many trails there of all difficuties. Stay away from Rock Garden, Hellicopter Pad, School Bus and Slick Rock unless you are prepared for body darnage and mechanical failure, no matter how modified your ZJ is! Stick with the other trails and you will be challenged and you will have fun! I would not even waste my time with Uhwharrie unless you are simply time limited. I know because I used to spend a good ammount of time at Uhwharrie because it was close. Anyhow, if you want any more specifics, shoot me an email. Have fun!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts