Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whats going on fellas, ive got a 1996 ZJ totally stock except for some alright mesa all terrains i was able to bum off my dad. In the next couple of weeks i am going to order my lift. The lift that i can afford right now is just Rusty's BB lift for 200 greenbacks. Mainly i was wondering what mods would be cheap, effective, and actually useful. And if anyone has some parts that they would want to sell, let me know.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Usefull Mods?!?!

Useful as in performance? Or useful as in "Gosh, Harriett, that thing really looks like a MILITARY type vehicle"!
Performance wise:
-A cold air kit for the engine! Go to Jegs or Summit and get the filter, silicone boots and ell's and pipe for less than the price of a "kit" from one of the "names".
-Headers from a good maker
-A bored out throttle body (better breathing)
-Yella Terra roller rocker arms (about $400.) frees up HP lost through friction
-Free-er flowing exhaust (nothing I've found will make a 4.0 sound like a v-8, but you can gain some HP)
-Then, if you REALLY want to get intimate with your engine...go look at Dino's jeep mods-www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com- and follow his stroker build-up. The guy SHOULD have charged for the massive amount of info he is giving away for free. He built a killer stroker 4.6L I6 and is giving away all the blood, sweat and tears involved. I know the V-8 guys will say that it won't perform like a bent engine...and it probably won't...but it will have a ton of low end grunt and will run for friggin ever! Dino did his for about HALF the cost of a stroker long block from an aftermarket builder.
For my two bits, I'd make the Jeep perform first, and be able to turn those 35's you're dreaming about. Then check out some of the lift kit makers and start saving! (don't forget Iron Rock Offroad for a lift kit!!! and take a look at the "customer's rides" while you're there...I drool every time)
-Lastly...I don't have a stake in any of the companies or persons I've mentioned. Just think you could do much worse.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Welcome. What engine does your ZJ have? 4.0 I6 or the 5.2 V8? This will help with the modding part quite a bit. Nothing will help as good as a simple tune up. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Then go from there. I just got done installing a set of Live Wires, Screamin Demon Coil, Brass Terminal Cap and Rotor and new plugs on my 96 ZJ.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i really appreciate all the support guys. ive got the 4.0 sraight six. i really want to turn my jeep into a pure beast, really all performance with minimal show. as far as im concerned i could care less about the looks. does any have some suggestions as to what ishould order first...i want to do the lift but im thinking i should start with the engine and work up from there??

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
well i really appreciate all the support guys. ive got the 4.0 sraight six. i really want to turn my jeep into a pure beast, really all performance with minimal show. as far as im concerned i could care less about the looks. does any have some suggestions as to what ishould order first...i want to do the lift but im thinking i should start with the engine and work up from there??
If you want to start with the engine, then my suggestion is sell it and buy a 5.2 or 5.9 and start over. There is nothing beasts about a 4.0

1 - 12 of 12 Posts