Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I decided to start a build thread I guess you could say. I have many plans for this ZJ. I am looking around for a deal on some used equipment to do a F R swap on it and 31's or maybe do a little trimming and go 32's. This may not be done till spring but that gives me lots of time to get everything together and do it right the first time.

For now I am just fixing things here and there that are broken on it. I just noticed today while snapping pics of it that one of the rear studs snapped off and is missing a center cap. I have rear studs all ready so that is a an easy fix.

I am looking for a set of replacement foglights for it as one of them is cracked and the inside is rusted to sh!t. Had to re-polish the headlights as they were really dull. Added bulbs to corners as they were burnt out.

Cut off the muffler as I smashed it on a trail ride. You can hear it here. Sounds nice I think.

I have also added a Jet Performance stage 1 chip to it. I won it on ebay used for $20 so couldn't pass on the deal! It really woke up the motor and the shifts are a lot firmer with it.

Put in an Optima Red Top. Also installed an Audiovox Prestige APS997A Alarm/Remote start with 2 way LCD and 1400' range of operation!

By spring I want to do a full Kolak Ignition upgrade on it and maybe a Kolak exhaust with a set of headers.

Any other changes I will keep you all posted in this thread.
To see pics of it click on the link in my sig.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well got my X-mas gift figured out from the wife! I looked around for the best deal for her and this is what I came up with.

Going with these as they are both corners, headlights, and bumper lights. I want a clear headlight and a clear corner so I looked into just those and well after shipping on just the clear corners and headlights I got a total of around $154. That is keeping my stock bumper lights. For an extra $30 I get all the lenses. edit: This includes the cost of shipping. I think it is worth it in my opinion. Also my stock headlight lenses are horrible. I did polish them but they just really are very bad.

I know not everyone here likes the looks of these but what matters is I like them. This ZJ isn't going to see too many trails as I have a built XJ for the trails. This ZJ is mainly going to be the tow vehicle for the XJ. Mind you I will be still giving it a little lift and what not.

I will be putting a pair of MTEC bulbs in the headlights. I have these on my 97 ZJ and they are great! One of the best upgrades I have ever done to that ZJ.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Before and after pics of the lights? I'm seriously considering upgrading my headlights if I can find a nice pair.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will post pics when I get them and then when they are installed. I just ordered them yesterday. Hoping they will be here by Monday at the latest.

Here is the same ones on Northwoods 5.9. I think they look great!

Here are the rest of the pics and the thread I got the pic from.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also the wife has let me know that she wants to get me a set of these for the jeep as the stock ones are horrible. The pass. side doesn't work. Driver's side has a big crack in the glass. In these I will be putting MTEC H3 bulbs. I think it will be a nice touch to the new lenses up top.

I'm kinda glad she likes to have things look clean and nice! This ZJ is starting to grow on her a little bit I think. She loves the 97 I let her drive all the time. It's basically hers now as I have the 96. We finally got around to fixing the broken lenses on the front of that one earlier this fall. Got a good price for all six from a guy parting his 98 out. All six in great shape for $40. That includes shipping.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
where do you get those fogs? i saw them a long time ago and havent been able to find them on fleabay since

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok just ordered up the bulbs to my new lenses that are in the mail. I went to www.automotivelightingusa.com to purchase some MTEC bulbs. I have had a pair of these in my 97 ZJ for about 5 yrs now and they work great!

Here is the order:
1 x MTEC 4X Super White 9004 $24.99
1 x MTEC 4X Golden Style H3 $24.99
Sub-Total: $49.98
$5 Flat Rate Shipping (USPS (2 - 3 Day Airmail)): $5.00
Total: $54.98

I searched Ebay and they wanted about the same but more for shipping so I just ordered through them directly. Also they do take Paypal so that was a plus for me! I figure Mon-Tues and I should have everything except the Fog lamps. Still gotta get money together to order them.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just ordered the foglights for the Jeep! Now I have all of them and am waiting very impatiently for them to arrive. It is sickening not being able to see that great while driving at night.

Here is what the stock lenses look like. I'll keep them as spares except for the foglights. They are cracked.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Let us know how this turns out, my passy side lens is so bad I can't see where it hits my garage door from ten feet away, no joke, and that's with the brights on! I haven't ran my dims in two years, and nobody has ever given me a "flashback".

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
just like to point out that towing anything more than mulch with a zj is a terrible idea

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
jeeperoni91 said:
just like to point out that towing anything more than mulch with a zj is a terrible idea
Why do you say this?

I know towing the XJ behind the ZJ may be out of the question but around here most of the time you see people pulling big *** boats with GC's. I towed my buddies Corolla with it once already. Did great. Slowing down took longer but that's expected from not having a trailer brake controller on it.

During the summer months I tow a Cat back hoe behind a IH tandom axle dumptruck. Not trying to say I'm the best or anything, but I do have experience towing. I have had my CDL for 9 yrs now and have more miles logged than I care to even think about!

92 Cat Backhoe:

2003 IH tandom axle dumptruck:

40 some odd foot trailer:

I got to haul this up using a buddies truck and trailer. Went out to Washington to pick it up and back. 2005 hyandai hl740xtd

Just a few pics of our equipment!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I got to haul this up using a buddies truck and trailer. Went out to Washington to pick it up and back. 2005 hyandai hl740xtd

Just a few pics of our equipment!
I want to see this thing flexing ;)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I want to see this thing flexing ;)
Look at this amazing flex!! LOL JK.

Trust me it doesn't flex for nothing!!!! Get's a little bit of the pucker factor when you start side hilling sitting that high off the ground! You do get used to it though.

On another note, I received the bulbs today that will be going in the headlights and foglights. Still waiting on the lenses though. I am being very impatient. According to their shipping charts they should be here either today or tomorrow. That's taking into account there was no mail on New Year's Day and as far as I know UPS doesn't ship on Sat.

·
Registered
812 Posts
im very curious to see them...

its gonna look pretty sweet i think.

i wanna do a projector in a set of them. im bidding on a set of projectors right now...if i get them i may pick up a set of those clear lense headlights.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
im very curious to see them...

its gonna look pretty sweet i think.

i wanna do a projector in a set of them. im bidding on a set of projectors right now...if i get them i may pick up a set of those clear lense headlights.
I was thinking of attempting this, but I was going to get another set of clear headlights. If you do it post it up so we can see how it turns out!

·
Registered
812 Posts
of course...i'd even post a how to. it really cant be that hard.

however if i do it, it wont have a high beam...but if you have HIDs...you'll never need them...at least i never have.

btw...my mom was born in hibbing, and i've been up to the range a few times when i was quite a bit younger. I LOVE it up there. great place to live.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
btw...my mom was born in hibbing, and i've been up to the range a few times when i was quite a bit younger. I LOVE it up there. great place to live.
I was born in Virginia, lived with my parents in their home in Britt for 22yrs, moved out and have been living in Mt. Iron ever since. It sure is a nice place to be. Lots of bars around here too. Kinda what we are known for. There are 20 bars in a town of less than 10,000 ppl. Within 30 miles of here there are, according to google, about 804 bars! With the biggest city, Hibbing @ 16,255 ppl.

Lots of riding trails around especially for Snowmobiles and ATV's. Many hiking trails too. In fact my parent's place is right next to the Big Aspen Hiking and Ski trails. I am about 5 miles from the Laurentian Divide Recreation Area.

I miss being out at my parent's place though. They lived out in the country where I live in town now. I am hoping to get my own place out that way in the next few years. It's nice being in town but I can't stand the constant noise in this apartment complex. The kids run through the hallways until 2-3am.

Back to topic, I have made my choice as to what lift kit I am going with. I have chosen to go with the IRO 3.5" kit. Sometime this spring I will be making the trip down to their store to check it out. It is about 250 miles from where I live. Kinda funny, I knew they were in MN but I didn't realize they were this close to me. I always thought they were more southern than Shakopee. Also to go visit my bro. He lives about 15 mins from their shop. If everything works out I might go down stock and come back lifted!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Cool toys around your house :) And love to see pics of the headlamps when you get em.

·
Registered
812 Posts
very cool!

yea we go back every now and then, less now that im older. but it is one of my most favorite places to be. besides my great grandmas farm outside of alexandria...but thats way south of you i believe.

yea my mom always talks of the iron range, and how she wants to go back, but its hard to get vacation time.

i have an aunt that lives in duluth and both her boys play hockey up there. 20+ rinks for 60k people is ridiculous. here in cali we have 4 rinks in san diego for 3.3 million. its not fair! lol (i've been playing since i was 4, and my dad could find skates that fit)

1 - 20 of 197 Posts