we'll be waiting

·
Registered
6,896 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Ever have some seat time on those tires? I was running the 265's and they're nice. LTB's perform so much better off road. They're bad on cold mornings and not great on the road. The trxus ride better on the street than BFG All Terrains and wheel better than BFG Muds. I'm torn between them.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
TrXus tires really are great tires, especially on a street driven rig. When I move up to 35s (or 36 inch Iroks ) I will go with a different tire. The sidewalls on the TrXus are just to easy to rip.

Can't wait to see it dude. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
So I've got my JK wheels sitting here and I'm really considering 37" tires. I'm thinking about painting these wheels with some black paint. I have 3 reasons for doing this.
1. I want these to look different.
2. I think its going to make them look a little less bulky.
3. The Law. If the wheels look bigger, it will trick your eye into thinking the tires are a little smaller. Basically it won't look like a monster truck tire does with huge sidewalls. Its all about proportions. Hopefully "the man" will leave me alone as I drive by. What do you guys think?

I photo-shopped a pic to demonstrate what I mean.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
I'm hoping that the painted wheel will look less bulky, creating the illusion of a bigger wheel. That in turn will hopefully change the look of the proportions at a glance and make the tire look smaller. My theory anyway...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
mmm.... 37's.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Used, with no trail miles and less than 300 road miles. The wheels will be sold.

·
Registered
593 Posts
you're not in Northwood, are you? like, lucas pond northwood (family used to own property out there)
i didn't realize the law was tough on 4wheelers around there.
down here they don't care at all, even on the most radical rigs!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Sounds cool!! Wheels should look awesome painted like that!!! Can't wait to see em on the rig!! [smilie=bal_cool.gif]

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
yourownself said:
you're not in Northwood, are you? like, lucas pond northwood (family used to own property out there)
i didn't realize the law was tough on 4wheelers around there.
down here they don't care at all, even on the most radical rigs!

Northwood, NH? No. I live farther north.
Some state cops can be pricks around here. Where's "down here"?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Some pictures of my cross-member. At the time I took these, all I had was my cell phone. Sorry for the bad quality of these pics. The whole assembly is removable. It uses Daystar bushings for a Chevy rear leaf application. There are six mounting points. In the first pic, to the left of the grinder, you can see another tube. That one was tied in to the main piece. It is located right under the T-case tail-shaft housing. The whole thing has a removable, .25" plate skid. Makes for a nice flat belly. This was built using HREW. Plenty of strength and left me more money to spend on Chromoly for my control arms.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Got my 37's for $700. Sold the wheels for $250. The tires have a little over a couple hundred miles on them. The little nubbies aren't worn off the tread blocks yet!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Crossmember looks AWESOME!! You do nice work! What is HREW?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
magnumcherokee said:
Crossmember looks AWESOME!! You do nice work! What is HREW?
Thanks for the compliment. Hoping to be selling them soon.
HREW - Hot Rolled Electric Welded. Its got a welded seam. Plenty strong for its intended purpose. Skipped over the DOM - Drawn Over Mandrel, in order to have a little extra money for Chromoly to build my long arm version of JKS arms.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
[smilie=bal_cool.gif] Thanks for the info, not much of a fabricator myself but am starting to play around with stuff for the jeep. Have helped make a lot of crome moly stuff over the years and know its not only expensive but a little tough to work with some times.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Some more pics of the under belly. The first two are right side up, the second two pics are of the assembly turned upside down. The two openings were filled with .25" plate, flush with the bottom of the tubes. Turned out to be one sweet skid. The next pics I post will show it mounted to my rig. Oh and there's also a hoop that comes off the front crossmember and protects the tranny pan.

121 - 140 of 187 Posts