Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

What type of MPGs are you getting?

• Total voters
101 - 120 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm curious what type of MPGs you're all getting. For a standard, list vehicle year, mileage, engine, lift, tires and tire size, gears, transfer case, engine mods, armor and the like, driving conditions, driving style.

MPG - 13-14
99 WJ
172xxx miles
4.7 V8
2" BB
Hankook Dynapro's ATM RF10
265/75/16
Stock gears, T/C, Engine

·
Registered
763 Posts
Power doesnt feel to be any lower. I only get gas at two places. Both are 92 and 93 octane. Could be a dirty fuel filter maybe?
My zj started to lose milage and seemed to be harder to start fuel filter was plugging up bad replaced it and put a thing of injector cleaner in the tank milage pulling my boat has gone to 13.4 and starts good again and seems to have more zip now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was getting about 16.1 in town and about 22 mpg highway for quite some time. Now, as of last month, I'm only getting 14.3. Not liking that too much.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'll got my 96 5.2L w/ 249 and 3.73 gears, AEM drop in filter, E3 plugs, Taylor Wires, JEG high output coil and I was getting 13.4 pretty steady.

Installed a Gibson Cat back and gained .4 mpg to bring it up to 13.8. Still sucky. I need to replace the fuel filter and I am thinking about replacing the upstream O2 sensor. I read on here somewhere that replacing the Upstream )2 sensor is a regular tune up thing to do and I haven't done it since I bought the rig (about 10k miles) so it's due for that too. Not sure if either will make a difference on MPG though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I only get 11 with my 99 GC with the 4.7 full time 4 wheel, stock drivetrain but with 2" skyjacker lift 265/75R16 cooper discover atr tires and flowmaster.
mostly city driving but with my daily drive to work i only hit 3 trafic lights.
I think a really good tune up should help.
Oo and its curretly got 157,479 miles on it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
usually around 11-12 mpg
94 Limited
196000 miles
5.2L
Goodyear Armortrac 225/75/15
stock gears and no engine mods
Atlanta driving....a lot of highway but a lot of traffic....
usually give it easy on the gas unless im not :)

just replaced the plugs and wires and didnt help as much as i had hoped....think i need a new fuel filter

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
I don't know if this is odd or not, but I've recently been finding out if I go down to a quarter tank or less and fill up, the ZJ gets about 11-12 MPG on winter blend gas. If I fill it up when it hits about a half a tank, I get about 15 MPG with it on winter blend gas. It's only something I've noticed the last couple times I've filled up. Normally I put gas in when it's at about a quarter tank. The last 2 times I did it with it at half. I'm going to start doing it at half and calculate it each time to see if my two fill ups were flukes or not. I'll fill up a lot more often to save gas if it's the case. I don't see how it could affect it but who knows...

·
Registered
18 Posts
well changed the fuel filter and that was apparently the culprit.....went from averaging 11.4MPG to 15.7MPG.....thats over a 1000 mile stretch....not bad id say....

·
Registered
4 Posts
MPG: 14 in city 19+ on highway
Year: 1997 Limited
Mileage: 196,XXX
Engine: 5.2
Lift: None
Tires: Cooper Starfires stock tire size
Gears: Stock 3.73
T-case: 242
Engine mods: none
Armor: none
Driving conditions: city 70/30 highway
Driving style: Actually my speedometer is off, so I believe once i achieve around 60 mph, it is off by about 5. So i believe i'm going around 55 on the highway.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Wow!

Ok, so I cleaned out the fuel injectors on Thursday with a special tool/pump that we have at our shop. I pumps the fuel cleaner directly into the fuel rail and through the injectors cleaning them with 100% strength rather than being diluted through the fuel tank. What a difference with the 5.2. It brought back throttle response, especially up in the high rpms, brought my avg mpg from 14 to 17, and gave me a constant 21-23 mpg going 55 mph on Route 27 yesterday.

·
Registered
8 Posts
MPG: 17.8-19.5
Year: '99
Mileage: 153455
Engine: 4.7L
Lift: none
Tires: Mixed Matched 255 55 18
Gears: Stock
T-case: Dont Know
Engine mods: K&N FIPK II
Driving conditions: 100 Percent City Driving
Driving style: Very conservative with the skinny pedal, Watch the Instant Fuel Eco. Religiously.

·
Registered
3 Posts
MPG: 16
Year: '02
Mileage: 141,000
Engine: 4.0
Lift: 2 3/4
Tires: Goodyear Authority 31x10.5x15
Gears: 3.55
T-case: 242
Engine mods: K&N Drop in
Driving conditions: 50% highway, 30% dirt roads, 10% trail, 10% city.
Driving style: Usually conservative.

·
Registered
17 Posts
14ish average. If these winds are calm I have seen 17 on the highway.

4.7 ported heads, super chips flashpaq, ported throttle body, K&N fipk II,
2 3/4 exhaust flowmaster high flow cats, magnaflow cat back,
Rock crawler 6.5" long arm, front and rear winch bumpers, iron rock sliders,
33x12.50x16 KM2's, 249 tcase, 3.73's.

101 - 120 of 157 Posts