Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a friend of mine build me some rock rails for my ZJ. The only part in the design I was unsure of was just exactly how to mount them to the unibody. I tried drilling, tapping, and screwing them in but after one hole I decided that wasn't the best idea. Any suggestions? I would prefer to have them welded, could I have them welded to the unibody? Here's some pics to give you a better idea.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
I have the KOR sliders and they are bolted to the uni with self tapping screws, and it works well in my opinion. You can have them welded to the uni, but make sure the welder is competent because I have heard you can blow through the uni real easy if you are not careful.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you had any worries of them ripping off?

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
If you are talking to me, no I have never thought about ripping them off. I bang them on rocks all day, then my big butt (280#s) steps down on them when I get out, and they never move.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks bro. I can finally get them mounted after having them lay around for 2 years. Hopefully I can squeeze in some wheeling when I'm home on leave.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would make the mounting points wider first. I would then have them welded.

Of course this depends on how hard you wheel. Personally, Id hate to get caught on something and have it rip holes in my "frame". That would be my concern with the mounting points being small as well even if they were welded. Theres just not much material there to spread the load out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts