Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i saw both the red 94 zj with no doors and two lights mounted on the hood. i would love to do this with my 97. so if anybody knows how he or you mounted those any suggestions will help. i also saw the silver 94 zj with the 2 lights mounted on the far corners of the hood like cop lights almost, so if you have any suggestions about that please let me know. thanks guys

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've never heard of anyone doing this until now, though I would imagine it wouldn't be hard. I not to long ago mounted a spotlight to my roof and it was pretty straightforward. Upper left side

My guess would be to measure and mark where you want your lights carefully, remove the engine bay "cloth" on the inside of the hood and drill holes in your marks then just bolt the lights on. As for wiring, follow the wiring diagram that the headlight comes with and run the wires through the firewall. Just be sure to leave enough wire loose so you can still easily lift up the hood.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I just drilled appropriately sized holes in the hood and mounted the lights I had. It's pretty straightforward. My lights weren't tall enough (just el cheapo ricer lights from AutoZone) to interfere with anything when the hood is opened, but if you are looking at using bigger lights, keep that in mind.

That said, you will get a LOT of glare from the light reflecting off the hood. I really only would mount them on the hood if you intend to use them to angle them off to the side. Even then, you will get a fair amount of glare off of the fenders. The fog light I had mounted in the inner fender was MUCH more effective at giving me light that I need. But I also rarely need to light up miles of an open field, so my light setup worked really well.

·
Registered
109 Posts
you will get a LOT of glare from the light reflecting off the hood.
I've seen alot of land rover users paint portions of their hood flat black to get rid of any glare, if you really want to get some larger lights on the hood I'd recommend getting some flat black paint

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys. i think ill just suck it up and buy a light bar for the roof and grill. i decided i dont wanna start drilling into my hood until the old jeep gets a little more body damage, if you know what im saying.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I had some Delta tech driving lights kind of fitted to my hood. I used some 6"x2" stainless straps with a 10mm hole at each end, unbolted the fanshroud bolts, then put the starps with the bolts holding them. I just then wired up the lights and fitted them to the opposite end of the straps so they wer like a second set of fog lights just above, and inbetween the headlights.
I will try and find a picture later for you.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I had some on mine i just measured the hood both ways and decided where they should be on there and remember opening the hood so they dont hit the windshield, but yeah drilled two holes in the hood and ran the wires by the cowl and ran them into the engine compartment, and did all the wiring and then hooked to a switch and ur good

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
And yeah i bought an aftermarket hood they come flat black plus it looked good with the red paint job i had on mine, and that way if u dont like it later on down the road u can put ur original hood back on in case u ever decide to sell

1 - 8 of 8 Posts