Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the minimum amount of lift needed to run a long arm kit? Assuming I buy a RE 4.5 and don't like the ride I will probably build or buy a long arm kit BUT....I may have to remove it once a year for Maine vehicle inspection as I am not allowed to alter the vehicle at all with ABS brakes. So I need to know if I return it to stock height can I still run a long arm?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I go with a long arm then I suspect that I will have to remove the stock lower control arm mountd. But other than that the RE 4.5" kit is not weld on as far as I know. Still I need to know if I can run the stock springs with a long arm kit even for a week or so.

·
Registered
161 Posts
RE does not make a kit for the ZJ/WJ yet. Don't know if they will. With Claytons kit you will be removing the stock brackets. I guess you really have to think about it. A longarm kit is a total comittment to your Jeep. You just cant take it off for inspections and such without a major PITA. Even the RE kit, I wouldn't take it on and off as it would be a pain.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know that it will be a pain in the ... to pull it off every year but that is what will be required here in Maine. Besides I have the envy of every shade tree. I just closed down my Exxon Station (city took it by eminent domain) and have all three bays worth of equipment in the barn now. Still waiting to install the 2 2post lifts but I have almost everything else up and running. tire machine, spin balancer, Commercial Air comp., Snap on Scanner, Snap on Vantage graphing 4 channel multimeter, brake lathe, strut compressor.....All my tools and most importantly my experience. Now I just need to find a really good paying job to support my habit :)

·
Registered
828 Posts
I dont see why you would not be able to just swap the springs back to stock ride height. With claytons kit, all you would have to do is disconect the shock, hi lift the body and the spring will just fall out, and you can pop the stock one back in and throw on your stock size tires. The only thing that I would be unsure of is the top of the front long arm may bottom out due to the decreased height in springs. I would email clayton and ask him directly.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That was my concern about the long arm also. Also I don't know that I can pass off the long arm as not "altering" the zj for inspection purpose. That is why I am looking this over so closely.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The daily compute to NJ would kill me :) plus if your jeeps gets to much attention for lift etc. and you keep getting pulled over the police will force you to register the vehicle in Maine. This happened to me when I lived in Vermont and only had tinted windows on an old ranger I had. The police officer was a downtown walker but always saw me once a week or more at the post office and warned me about the tint. After a couple of months he told me I had to register in VT since I obviously lived there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts