Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, a newbie here. My first WJ, but not first, or only Jeep. This one is pretty much for the wife. :cuddle: Anyway, what I need to know is, what's the biggest tire I can run on a 2001 LTD with 17" wheels. It's got little 235/65's on it now, but those big wheel openings are just screamin for a little more tire. I don't want a lift, just a little taller tire. The present Michelins are rated at 29.4". Looks like I could go maybe 30-31?
But there sure aren't many sizes available in 17". By contrast, the 16's are easy to find.
I had 255/70-15's on our 98 Gr. Cherokee and never had a problem. Any help or tips greatly appreciated!!

:newbie:
Thanx, Phil
01 Gr. Cherokee
98 Cherokee
91 Cherokee

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Maximum tire size with 17"s ???

Since nobody has been able to answer, I'm gonna try a different angle. What's the biggest 16" tire that will fit? The 16's are a little more common, so maybe more guys have tried taller tires.
Somebody give me a hint on that and I'll look at 17" tire specs and find something close to the same height in a 17".
It looks to me like a 30"-30.5" tire would fit ok, but I'd like to get some confirmation first.
Thanx, Phil

·
Registered
114 Posts
Phil,

With no lift, I would not go larger than your existing 235/65 R17. Even if you go with a 16 inch wheel, a 29 inch tire is as large as you can run without hitting the fender. Take a close look at the back of the wheel well opening for your front fender. There is very little room with an LTD and stock suspension

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anthony, thanx.
That's not very encouraging is it? I'll have to look it over. These 235's are about 29.4" tall. Boy, I sure got away with a lot more size on the 98. (255/70-15's) :(

Later, Phil

·
Registered
619 Posts
it would be really really easy to do a BB.... JMHO. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, at the risk of sounding like an idiot......who makes a BB (budget boost) for the WJ? ;)
I don't wanna lift it much. 2" maybe?

Thanx again, Phil

·
Registered
619 Posts
uhh i was looking at my computer screen. it said to me in a pale blue font... search. so i did

your answer
:thumbsup:

edit:: (thats a link, BTW)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I "got it" .....thank you. I was in a bit of a rush yesterday and hadn't done a search yet. I'll look into that. Thanx again!

Phil :newbie:

·
Registered
891 Posts
tires

Customcab said:
Anthony, thanx.
That's not very encouraging is it? I'll have to look it over. These 235's are about 29.4" tall. Boy, I sure got away with a lot more size on the 98. (255/70-15's) :(

Later, Phil
the 255/70r15's are 29" tall. They're just wider. You could probably run a 255/65r17 or a 255/60r17 on your 2001. They're be the same width and height as the ones on your 98. The 255/65r17 will be a tad taller. Maybe 30-30.5". Hope this helps.

As a rule with tires you drop the second number by 5 when you go up in rim size.

Use this also http://www.nagca.com/grandtech/grandcalculators.htm
Use the Simple Metric Convertor

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanx, that's the same way I was approaching it. It sure looks like it could tolerate at least a 30" tire. Gonna head to Tire Barn this week and try on some shoes.
Thanx again, Phil

:lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Max WJ-17" tire size without lift ? FYI

Well, Monday I finally made it to the tire store and have some info. We mounted a set of Michelin Cross Terrain's, 275/60R-17's just for the heck of it. We rolled em up next to the Jeep and the guys out in the shop said "No way those are gonna fit". They looked HUGE compared to the stock 235/65-17's. Snugged em up and set it down, and not only do they look great because they fill the opening nicely, they don't rub anywhere. The closest point is at the rear shock dust cover. It's still got about 1/2" there (to sidewall). The fronts aren't close anywhere. I was going to go with a 245/65-17 if these didn't work, since it's a little shorter and narrower.
We've driven it a couple hundred miles this week and had no problems.
These 275's are 30" tall and have a section width of about 10.9". (tread width about 8 3/4") Just thought I'd let you guys know.

Later, Phil :grin:

·
Registered
3,724 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanx, found this under the FAQ section. Hadn't seen it before.
=========================================

WJ's
17" Wheels (need more info here)
Height Biggest tire size
Stock Height 245/65/R17 or 275/60/R17 will run fine.
Possibly 265/65/R17 and 265/70/R17 (anyone done these???)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anthony, thanx.
That's not very encouraging is it? I'll have to look it over. These 235's are about 24" tall. Boy, I sure got away with a lot more size on the 98. (255/70-15's) :(

Later, Phil
Thanx, found this under the FAQ section. Hadn't seen it before.
=========================================

WJ's
17" Wheels (need more info here)
Height Biggest tire size
Stock Height 245/65/R17 or 275/60/R17 will run fine.
Possibly 265/65/R17 and 265/70/R17 (anyone done these???)
I run 255/65r17 on my 2001 wj limited with no lift kit that’s the max you can go to on the 17s

1 - 14 of 14 Posts