Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I've got a 98 ZJ with a 4 inch lift. The front track bar is stock. The problem that I am having is if i hit the wrong bump at speeds less than 40 mph or get a little bit of snow in the rims I get a massive front end shake like a death wobble. i have tightened the track bar as much as i can but with no remedy. anyone having the same problem and got a good tip to fix this problem?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Did you get a complete 4 inch lift kit? 4 inches with a stock track bar is no good unless you got brackets with your lift for your track bar and even then they are not that great. Other questions are did you get a front end alignment, check U-joints and your ball joints? If those are all good I think a new adjustable track bar will be in your future.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have had an allignment done and had all the front components checked. everythings good except for the track bar. im not lifted to the piont where i need a longer trackbar in the front end so i fail to see how that will help. especially because its not the track bar itself that is the issue. i think its the mounting braket..

·
Registered
454 Posts
I think you've discovered what the rest of the ZJ/XJ/TJ owners know as "death wobble" and once you've got it...you'll spend many hours trying to figure it out ;-)

And with 4 inches of lift I don't think you'll find an experienced ZJ owner that will tell you NOT to get an adjustable track bar over the drop brackets and such.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh ive spent more than hours trying to figure this out.. and the thing is i dont have drop mounts or anything. the whole front trackbar is stock and i have no problems with axle placement. like i said, i just cant seem to get the damned thing tight enough. i can see how new mounts might help tho. i just dont see the need for a whole new trackbar.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Well I hope someone chimes in that has more experience. But from what I've read and heard, there shouldn't be a way for you axle to be sitting in the right place with 4 inches of lift and no adjustment of the track bar some how (either with a new one, drilling new holes, drop brackets, or all of the above)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well the front has just a touch less lift than the back. probably shoulda mentioned that. its about an inch less. but even so it still doesnt change the fact that i have no problem with axle placement. could it be that the axle is pulling on the trackbar to compensate for the lift and therefore loosening the trackbar? but the way it looks im gunna need new mounts and an adjustable trackbar

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
There are thousands of pages on DW on forums everywhere. I could try and name everything to look for, but you will find more in depth info by searching. There is great info out there.

Search for Death Wobble here, on JeepForum, on Pirate 4x4, JeepsUnlimited...you will find your problem.

If you find that the joint on your track bar is bad, you have to replace it. Get an adjustable t-bar that is made for 4-6 inch lifts in case you go higher.

·
Registered
284 Posts
im running a budget boost that is only 1.75 inches and i needed to adjust my trac bar.. your axle is shifted about 2.5 inches to the driver side. it has to be. if not, then you dont have 4 inches of lift. did you try to take the bends out of the trac bar? if so, it prob made it so weak that its flexin under stress...

the bushings in the ends of the trac bar could be worn or loose. the axle side can develop an egg shape from use and will cause it to all sorts of things. samething with control arm bushings. are your shocks stock? or worn?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts