Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

major issue with a 5.2 ECM

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Technohead 
#1 ·
whats up guys! havent been on here in quite a while... still have the 98 4.0 but my uncles 1995 5.2 has a problem.

whenever the key to turned to on, the 20 amp fuse for the ECM blows... it was only doing it if the jeep was put in reverse and given an excess of throttle... if anyone knows anything about these engine computers and how they are wired, i would love the information...

thanks in advance for anything.

#3 ·
I had a problem blowing the safety shutdown fuse on my 98 ZJ 5.2L. everytime the fuse would blow it would kill the engine. Mechanic shop said it was a bad ECM,I replaced it and still had the same problem. After 2 weeks and blowing countlees amount of fuses I found the problem myself. Turned out being a short, the rear o2 sensor wire harness was resting on my rear driveshaft and from driving like that the driveshaft wore threw the harness loom and 2 wires. frayed wires were shorting out on my driveshaft. I repaired the wires and secured the harness loom up out of the way and have not had a problem since.

sounds like your blowing a differant fuse,but more than likely it is a short,trace the wires for the circuit that is blowing.

#4 ·
. . . the rear o2 sensor wire harness was resting on my rear driveshaft and from driving like that the driveshaft wore threw the harness loom and 2 wires. frayed wires were shorting out on my driveshaft. . .
I had the exact same thing happen.

X2 on the short. This will be a b*tch to track down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.