Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

Lunchbox Locker with 242 T-case

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  0Crazylegs0 
#1 ·
Hello all, I did search this question but was unsuccessful in finding anything that matches my issue. I installed a Spartan locker in a LP 30 on my '98 GC 4.0 with a 242 T-case. I get the normal clicks when turning, but also at times some very heavy clunks and bangs when turning sharp in 2WD. I have narrowed this down to front drive shaft drag (inertial or otherwise) causing the locker to partially engage while in 2WD. If I pull the front drive shaft out, the locker behaves as one would expect while in 2WD, very slight clicking even on the tightest and fastest U-turns. The question being, is there anyway to completely eliminate the parasitic drag inside the transfer case (or perhaps it's simply the inertial weight of the shaft itself?) which is causing the diferential gear case cross pin to engage the locker ramps? Would a 231 conversion give me a transfer case with a truly neutral front shaft while in 2WD? Thanks for any help that can be offered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.