Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it hurt to torque the lug nuts to make sure there not loose. I torqued them 2 months ago at 100 ft lbs with my new wrench. I was going to set it at 100 again and go over nuts. My book for the wrench says never tighten a already tightened bolt. So i have to loosen each nut & tighten again just to check if bolts are on tight?

·
Registered
61 Posts
On 2002-03-02 13:12, ccissell wrote:
Your torque wrench will just release if they are at 100 lbs. You can recheck them without loosening them.
While this is true, the initial startup friction of the seated nut will take more torque to get it going. Thus a nut torqued to 100 ft.lbs. may take about 110ft.lbs. to get moving again. then it will level out.

So if your lugs are only at 90 ft.lbs. due to the added torque need to start a rotation, your wrench set at 100 ft.lbs. may release, even though the nuts are only at 90.

The better practice is to loosen them again, if and only if you want to reseat them at a different torque. But if they are at 100 ft.lbs when you set them 2 weeks ago, they should still be there and trying to tighten them at a 100ft.lbs. setting should be okay.

FYI I keep mine at 96lbs. and have never had a problem.

Zac

1 - 4 of 4 Posts