Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

101 - 120 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yea Nice Wish I had as much money as you!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #102 (Edited)
I just choose to spend it wisely! lol

sprayed the riddler cover, and added some green. haha

Got the rear shocks mounted up temporarily, until i fab up the new lower mounts to get them set up right.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Those look nice. I think They would look terrible in the salted winter roads of Utah...the salt here kills everything. Black spray paint is what we use to cover everything up underneath, I wish my grand was as clean as yours.

I am still having troubles with my rear gears, they sound like garbage. Six States is on the second set of gears (Yukon 4.56) and they still make noise. They aren't too bad at all when you are on the throttle, but there is a pretty bad whine when decelerating after driving at freeway speed (rear 44HD). Did Desert Fab run into any problems when they were setting up your gears?
I don't know if this is your DD or if you ever get it up to freeway speeds, but do you have any gear noises at 60+ MPH or on decel after being at freeway speed?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
yeah.. i am glad you asked. I do get some gear whine on decel. nothing major, but you can hear it, if your listening for it. Mine is a DD, and i am always on the freeway.. doing 65 to 75.. my biggest complaint, is that i now have some pretty bad driveline vibes at about 68 and up.. and worse when i decel. and it seems to be intermittent.. even with constant throttle on flat ground. seems to get bad, then almost go away, then comes back... and so on.

I realize the shaft is spinning faster, but i had zero vibes before up to 85 mph, and they swear they didn't change my pinion angles. i just took it back there yesterday, because one of the rear axle seals was leaking. so they fixed that, and took a look at everything inside to make sure it was all ok.. and they said everything is fine on thier end.

the gear noise doesn't bother me at all. its the vibes..i am planning a trip to colorado next month, and will be doing 65 to 75 mph the whole way.. and right now, i think i would pull off the road half way there and shoot myself. hahah.. (totally kidding).. but yeah.. no too happy right now.. and espeically since tom woods said no go on the sye kit for my case, and he has made 2 of them since i ordered mine.. so that was great to hear as well..

g-

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
damn.. i just scored a sway loc dual rate sway bar and free led rock lights!

http://www.offroadonly.com/

they are doing a black friday special.. they were on the list, so i jumped on them!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Nice build. I like the green. I almost did mine that color too since I live in Seattle, and the powercoater I use had a ton of it from a Seahawks car he did.

I am curious if you have plans for a rear bumper, and what are you doing with exhaust?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
I will be doing a rear bumper, just not sure when yet. My exhuast just has a flowmaster muffler with a turn down tip..

I spent all day yesterday getting the shocks mounted. Here are the pics:

Laser cut mounts: (made from .188 4130 sheet)

I made a gusset doubler plate on the back upper.. probably pointless, but oh well.

Here are the front uppers:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #109

Front Lower: (I cut out the factory one)

The longest part was cutting off the rear lowers. That was a serious pain, since they are located in between the rear control arm mounts. I had to use a saws-all, die grinder, 90 deg grinder, and a 4" grinder to get it all cut off..

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Got the sway loc kit on from Off Road Only. I had to make my own mounts...

Old Vs New:

I thought i would be clever and mount the lever on the driver side, so i flipped it over. Turns out the drag link hits it before full lock, so i had to flip it back to how it was originally. I also had to put a bend into the lever on the driver side to clear the drag link at full steer.. so this is actually on the other side now.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Then when i was out testing the shocks a few weeks back, i bent the front axle housing, just getting a little air, and running through the bumps.. i didn't even bottom out, and it was still bent. It was at about 4 degrees of caster per side, so i came up with this solution to get me by until i can afford a new axle! I was pretty shocked it bent so easily..

I bent it back using this method and a torch to heat up the axle tube, it cooled, and it got the outers perp to the ground again. I was a little worried i would ruin the housing, but it was already screwed up, so i didn't have much to loose!

It was also leaking out the axle seal on the long side, and since i bent it back, it doesn't leak any more!! So i think i will hack together a truss to get my by until i get a new axle.. suggestions??

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Here is the final instal on the sway lock.. got it flipped back, the mounts coated, and bent the link arm for clearance on the drag link at full steer:

It works really well.. its almost a little too stiff for the on road setting, and a little too stiff for the flex setting.. but i haven't had it out on the trail yet.. just driving around town.. so we'll see...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Great Jeep! Half way through I was thinking "This guys an a**hole" But then I realized I shouldn't blame you for being awesome. I'll blame my wife! Really though great job with the Jeep and that bumper build was one of the best I have ever seen, EVER.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
haha.. thanks guys.. yeah.. i was really amazed at how easy i bent the axle housing. I know hitting some woops before that jump it was already bent a little. i could just see the added camber in the front end.

G-

101 - 120 of 144 Posts