Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. so im a total newb here, but this isn't my 1st party. I have owned 2 ZJ's before this WJ, and had a full tube crawler, that i just sold a few months ago. So its time to build my ultimate do all rig.

It will be my daily driver, my run to moab doing 80, my medium duty crawler to run the trails with, my desert pre-runner, minor fun in the dunes and woops, my do everything vehicle. (at least that is the plan anyways)

The factory specs:
2004 WJ limited with 70k on the ticker
loaded including Nav.
4.7 HO motor
Quadra Drive
Black Crystal Metallic

The Mods so far:
Washer bottle re-location
242 swap with d-shaft

Mods for the immediate future:
Clayton 6" long arm kit
35" BFG KM2's
Walker Evans True Beadlocks with OMF rings
Fox Bypass shocks
TNT Customs Hi-steer kit with relocated track bar, and flipped tie-rod
Kevins Sliderz
Custom front bumper with 8000k winch (designed and fabbed by me)
major fender trimming

Mods further in the coming months:
Truss/Skid plate for Rear Alum 44 axle
Rear aussie locker or ARB, 4.56 gears

Front axle either swapped out for a dana 44 or polish up the terd a little bit... (mind you, not gonna be a "hard core" crawler)
Truss for Dana 30 up front
aussie or ARB, 4.56 gears
Alloy axles with 30 splines
Rear bumper and tire carrier

i think thats about it for now.

Here are some pics..
Just installed the clayton cross member, and will be welding it in this weekend.... the coils, arms and track bar will be getting powdercoated a surprise color,

·
Registered
6,896 Posts

·
Registered
6,896 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys.. i can't wait until its finished!!

Here are some stocker pics:

and the ZJ washer bottle relocate:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the crosmembers and mounts welded in today...and added a 40 series delta flow muffler and turn down... next step is paint!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i had to move the mounting plates out on the sliders to fit up properly, and trimmed the inner mounts to fit with the clayton cross members. just gotta drill new holes, and they will be ready for powdercoat....

·
Registered
6,896 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally got the parts back from coating.. here comes the lift:

I still need to finish cutting of the original control arm mounts, and get the driveshafts extended... then get shocks, but its moving along. it lifted the front 7 3/4" and the rear 7".

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Got the OEM control arm mounts cut off, welded the seams, then painted:

Then got Kevin's Sliderz mounted up. I stopped by harbor freight and got a cheap 90 degree angle drill, and cut my drill bit down, so drilling the holes was a snap. I highly recommend doing that if you install them.

Now i am just waiting for my TNT Customs hi-steer kit, and track bar relocator to show up, so i can get my steering and track bar angles a lot flatter.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
have you taken it for a test drive yet to see how she handles?
Oh yeah.. i've been driving it back and forth to work. It drives pretty good. My rear shaft vibrates really bad over 50 mph, and the slip yoke makes some noise as the drive shaft unloads when i slow down. I gotta call up Tom Woods this afternoon to see what he thinks i should do. I hope i don't have to do a slip yoke eliminator, but i want it done right, so i might have to.

My free bastard shocks that i have on there to get my by until i can figure out the lengths for my new ones make things a little weird, but overall it drives pretty good. minus the vibes.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts