Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Well i just got a '94 Grand Cherokee with the I6 in it and im very pleased with it considering its my first vehicle(Im only 16).

What i'm looking to do is find some performance parts for it to squeze a little bit more horse power. The first thing im gonna do is the exausht. I asked my tech teacher and he said that he would do a custom exausht with me if i supplied the parts. What muffler do you suggest? I was thinking of doing 2.5inch piping for this cat back exausht. Any advice?

Also the only other thing that i can find for the GC with the 4 is the AirMaxx intake - http://www.performancecombos.com/spe10252pro.jpg

This is about 300 bucks. Does this usually give that much horsepower gains? Is it even worth it or is their another intake or is K&N gonna release one?

Any other products that will give me some more horsepower that aren't that expensive? All i really want is some more acceleration for the onroad teenage driving :)

Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
On more or less a budget, I'd say try to make the existing engine breath better. A K&N filter to replace the stock one (around $75) and a cat-back w/ performance muffler and pipe. ($150-$300 or so). The Borla on my '95 V8 has a 2.5 inch pipe, and it doesn't start choking up until around 3500 rpm. Should be adequate for a 6. Had a '94 V8 with the MOPAR 3" cat back, and it never choked up, but it was LOUD anywhere above idle. The Borla's my best bet, even tho pricey because of the stainless steel, but I've had the car for 5 years now and figure it's worth it for me. There are less expensive brands, though (not stainless). I've also got a MOPAR performance module(chip)which kicks in around 1800 rpm (52 mph)and gives progrssively more as the rpm goes up, unlike some other chips which only work at wide-open throttle. The increased power and fuel economy just about evens out the extra cost of premium fuel. They might have a chip for your 6.
Beyond this point, the engine must handle more fuel/air for more power. More expensive mods (chips, cams,manifolds, axle ratios etc) mean higher purchase and operating costs because most require premium fuel from here on up. There's still some additional less expensive things like pulleys (makes accessories turn slower-okay except city driving), off-set rocker arms for higher valve lift, 180 thermostat for cooler running (existing computer can handle)maybe an electric radiator fan. But I believe most are just marginal improvements, nothing to snap you back in your seat. (My grandson graduates high school this summer, and that's what I'd tell him if he hadn't gone out and bought a '63 Buick)) Good luck. Ben

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah i see what your saying. I dont wanna be thrown back in the seat cause i dont wanna get loads of tickets but just want some marginal acceleration gains.

Have you heard of that Air Maxx intake thing? Just wanting to know if its any good.

Do you think i should go for a after-market exausht or do a custom one? Im thinking that custom might give a little more pickup but im not really sure.

Well thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
My K&N just replaces the stock, sorta flat filter. Hadn't heard of the one you mentioned. On the exhaust, shop around, according to how long you'll keep the car. Regular metal will last as long as the stock pipes would (3-4yrs?) and stainless is usually garanteed practically forever, but at some extra cost. I think the custom bender will just wink at you, put the spec number for your car into his tube-bending computer, and give you the same thing you might get in a box. Price diff, I don't know. I think the K&N and a low retriction cat-back exhaust will give you what you want. Cheers. Ben

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have some pics of the air intake that I made for about 50$. Shoot me an email and I'll send em' to you, I even have a write up for the I6 ZJ.
Sam

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Im gonna get the Flowmaster 50 series muffler and then the mandrel pipe bending(2.5in) from Kolak. Then since I haven't heard anything bout the intake im gonna get the Turbo City Intake that Kolak is also selling also I might get a TB spacer if i have some extra money.

I also plan on putting a lift. I really just wanna put 31 inch tires on it. What size do you guys recommend. Maybe like a 1.75inch body lift but i heard those aren't that great.

Well thanks for all the help. Drop some replies for the lift or something.

·
Registered
499 Posts
can't do a body lift on a unibody, get some spacers like the teraflex BB or i have heard someone at JU makes good ones

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you want to run 31"s and actually do some off-roading with the sway bars disconnected, I'd suggest a 3" lift, which would include at least new shocks, springs, lower arms, and a rear trackback relocation bracket. I cleared 30"s OK with a budget boost, but it still looked (and performed) pretty much like stock. Plus, 31's will look much better with a 3" lift. Lots of good 3" kits out there too. Go to the Lifts and Suspensions area of this forum for all the info on the lifts.
1995 4.0L ZJ Laredo, 3" Rancho lift + 1" Rusty's spacers, Rancho RS5000 shocks, 31" All Country MT's, AR 767 15x8" rims, Rusty's airtube and 6x9 K&N cone filter, Series 70 Flowmaster and 2.5" exhaust.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nullnlloyd on 2002-03-27 12:30 ]</font>

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you just want to fit 31" tires, go with the Teraflex Budget Boost. Performance will be just like stock, but with bigger tires. As far as mufflers, I would recommend the Flowmaster 40 series Delta Flow. It sounds better than the 50 series.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well i just went to a truck store and asked the guy bout some lifting. He told me that to get a 3inch lift installed and everything was like 2 grand. I dont think im gonna have that much money for this. All im looking for is to make this a little bit more aggressive looking, even though that I will be on road driving more then off road. Are 31inch tires that much bigger then the stock tires.

·
Registered
81 Posts
$2 GRAND WOW. GO TO A 4WHEEL PARTS STORE AND CHECK THERE PRICES!! I GOT A 3" PROCOMP FOR LIKE $500. IT IS EZ TO PUT ON. E-MAIL IF U HAVE ANY QUESTIONS.

·
Registered
81 Posts
$2 GRAND WOW. GO TO A 4WHEEL PARTS STORE AND CHECK THERE PRICES!! I GOT A 3" PROCOMP FOR LIKE $500. IT IS EZ TO PUT ON. E-MAIL IF U HAVE ANY QUESTIONS.

·
Registered
726 Posts
go over to http://www.jeepsunlimited.com and do a search in the speed freaks section for a Dino Savva. he has a website that shows his custom intake mods.
i have heard of somone modding the wj i6 fipk to the i6 on the zj.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bender on 2002-04-12 02:14 ]</font>

·
Registered
32 Posts
Look at my website. I have a cold air intake. It's an adapter i bought at www.rustysoffroad.com I use a K&N RE-0910 filter. It cost me about 80 bucks. It makes a great grunt when the throttle goes past 1/3 open. I'm gonna build a heatshield kinda like Dino's on JU. I know where ur comin from becuz I'm in high school too. Give Nick from Multitronics and email at [email protected] He's really good. Ask him about his ignition system he sells. Alot of guys have it on their ZJs and all i hear are good things. I've got a 94 ZJ 4.0 myself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.