Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that you can't put lockers on a 96ZJ, but if you put it in 4-Lo, does it somewhat lock the axles better to eliminate that wheel spin? I have gotten stuck trying to pull out others in mud b/c only 2 wheels would pull. Should I put Jeep in 4-Lo? Are you really suppose to be rolling a little when locking into 4-Lo. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Why do you think you can't put lockers in a 96 ZJ? Do you have the 249 t-case? If you do then a locker up front would not work but there is no reason you can't put one in back. When you put the t-case in 4 lo it will lock the t-case to a 50/50 output to the front and rear. That means at least one wheel in front and one wheel in back will spin. If you have a locker in back both wheels in back will spin.
Nathan

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree. I have a '95ZJ with a 249 but I know for a fact that my 249TC will NOT lock in 4Lo. In the '96 model year, they fixed the problem and allowed 4Lo to bypass the Viscous coupling and lock the front & rear driveshafts together. You do not have to be moving to shift from 4Hi to 4Lo but the transmission must be in Park or Neutral and if rolling, you must be moving slower than 5mph.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I have the 249 T-case. I ment to say that you couldn't put lockers on the front and back, sorry. You told me what I wanted to know though. Three wheels pullin is better than just two. What is the best locker for the back. Have D44 and D30. Thanks for the help. I don't understand why they had to put that aluminum in.

·
Registered
266 Posts
NBaldwin said:
Why do you think you can't put lockers in a 96 ZJ? Do you have the 249 t-case? If you do then a locker up front would not work but there is no reason you can't put one in back. When you put the t-case in 4 lo it will lock the t-case to a 50/50 output to the front and rear. That means at least one wheel in front and one wheel in back will spin. If you have a locker in back both wheels in back will spin.
Nathan
Nathan,
Exactly why can't a locker be put in the front D30?

David

G

·
David Luckadoo said:
Exactly why can't a locker be put in the front D30?

David
I think Nate meant no auto lockers. It's the 249 thing. Since you can't turn off the front output, on-road manners would be heck. Selectable lockers are okay though.

-Dave

·
Registered
266 Posts
I agree that it would take some getting used to with the 249, but it's certainly possible. I just didn't want anyone to think that it was impossible.

David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts