Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to no avail to find a locker that fits the aluminum Dana 44 HD rear axle. It has 30 spline, C-clip axles.

I want to put 4.10 gears in my rig, instead of the 3.73s that came stock. Since the gear ratio split on the stock Trac-Lok carrier is 3.73 and down, I figured I would go ahead and put a selectable locker in.

Has anybody been successful finding a locker for this axle?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. I should have asked you first.

I do some towing with my ZJ (about 5000 lbs worth of boat and gear, a couple times a month), hence the desire for the 4.10 gears. Tires are 31s, and I don't intend to go any bigger than that. What do you think of the strength of the Aussie for towing? It's also my daily driver. Does it run pretty smooth?

Getting to the technical details: I have the 3.73 gears and a Trac-Lok. From the Aussie web page, I see that I have to have an open carrier. I haven't looked yet, but can I get an open carrier that's 3.92 and up for the aluminum Dana 44? In that case, I wouldn't need the thick ring gear, right? The standard thickness 4.10 will work?

Thanks,
Paul H.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I am currently field testing a Spartan Locker for Yukon in my 97 ZJ (31s.) If all goes well (so far it is) we will see another option for the 44a in the coming months. The Aussie locker was a sweet locker. It ran smoother than the Detroits in my 96 ZJ (36s.)

Tranny coolers are your friend if you tow. I run two on the trail ZJ.

I have not logged in here in some time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the insight, Horus.

I have all the factory tow stuff (tranny cooler, etc.), so I'm not worried about that. I just wondered if there were any strength or wear issues with the Aussie itself due to towing .

Thanks,
Paul H.

·
Registered
372 Posts
It's a rip-off of the lock-rite. It is perfectly fine, and comparable to other lunchbox lockers, but as a design they're crap. My buddy blew up two lock-rites in his Power Wagon, and I rounded the corners off on my Aussie in under two years. It did the job, but it's really just a stop-gap option. If you're towing more than a couple of times a year, I'd keep the limited slip. I towed an F150 on a flatbed with mine, it certainly didn't prolong the life of the locker.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks, guys. I should have asked you first.

I do some towing with my ZJ (about 5000 lbs worth of boat and gear, a couple times a month), hence the desire for the 4.10 gears. Tires are 31s, and I don't intend to go any bigger than that. What do you think of the strength of the Aussie for towing? It's also my daily driver. Does it run pretty smooth?

Getting to the technical details: I have the 3.73 gears and a Trac-Lok. From the Aussie web page, I see that I have to have an open carrier. I haven't looked yet, but can I get an open carrier that's 3.92 and up for the aluminum Dana 44? In that case, I wouldn't need the thick ring gear, right? The standard thickness 4.10 will work?

Thanks,
Paul H.
I just put 4.10's in my WJ from stock 3.73's. I'm pretty sure the shop was able to use the OE carrier for the D44A 4.10's. Put a true-trac in front though. I will tow with mine too. I have to admit, with 245/75R16's, I thought the 4.10's would have been more torquey. Ideally, if they made them, I'd think 4.28's would be ideal for towing with 31's.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
My DDZJ will likely get a set of 4.56s here soon. It is only on 31s.

I would not put an automatic locker in the rear of a rig I intend to tow with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am currently field testing a Spartan Locker for Yukon in my 97 ZJ (31s.) If all goes well (so far it is) we will see another option for the 44a in the coming months. The Aussie locker was a sweet locker. It ran smoother than the Detroits in my 96 ZJ (36s.)

Tranny coolers are your friend if you tow. I run two on the trail ZJ.

Any further info on the Spartan? I plan to do some towing w/ my 96 on 31's. Also, some threads mention the Aussie being discontinued, or intermittently available. Any info on this? Thanks for any help:).

·
Registered
660 Posts
The Spartan locker is available:
http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=9286

As for Aussie, I haven't heard anything recently from them about their 44A locker -- and it's not listed on their website. The problem they had before was that it wasn't financially reasonable for them to regularly stock 44A lockers due to the (lack of) demand and the size of the orders to the machine shop that needed to be placed to make them affordable. They would usually just order them every once-in-a-while from the machine shop and just sell them until the ran out. Then they would run another batch when it seemed that there was enough demand again. Their pricepoint was a lot higher than the Spartan (I heard it was due to the lack of demand, but it could also have been since there weren't any other options at the time), so I don't know what their plan is for the 44A since they would have to dramatically lower the price to compete with Randy's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts